vi. Lesson Two: Don't Do What Snotlout Asks

renegadeschapter six

renegades
chapter six

    The following week was a first for everyone in classes. I think we were all just trying to get used to the way this all could work, and what best way it worked, as well as still trying to bond as best as we could with our new dragons. Sometimes it was funny to see someone else have problems with their dragon. One time during Fireball Frenzy, I saw Speedifist almost have his hair burnt completely off his Windwalker's flame. He had named his dragon a very original name: Speediclaw. (Get it, it's Speedifist, but dragons don't have fists, so it's claw━dumb, right?). The dragon didn't fire where he wanted her to. She wanted to just nap, but he had raised his voice, following Snotlout's example and before we knew it, we had to douse his hair with water because it had been set aflame.

    I barely paid attention in theory. Fishlegs was far more excited over dragons and his work with the Book of Dragons than we were. Winglash was also very bored by the end of the sessions in the Great Hall, curling up on the table and softly snoring little squawks, her chest rising up and down. We mainly helped him with his 'Dragon Cards'. Finding dragons in the Book, their stats and such, and filled out the cartable cards with ink or charcoal. I pursed my lips at some of the drawings, holding them up at the light. I didn't say anything, but the proportions of his Deadly Nadder were a little bit off. I just fixed them up when he didn't see, rubbing the charcoal out and redrawing the lines with lips pursed in concentration; drawing was a little hobby I've always had.

    I had to pair up in battle tactics, considering Winglash was far too young. Most of the time, Astrid dragged me onto her team as opposition to the others, and I usually left that activity sore and bruised. (Like every other time I trained with Astrid━but I have to give it some credit; I wouldn't be how I am now if it weren't for that). The Twins helped ... somewhat. In reality, they spent half the time coming up with sinister pranks and contraptions to throw us off guard with a cry of, "Loki'd!" that sometimes made me jump and scream (and a laughing stock for the boys━that was until I got back at them by hurtling rocks).

A lot of the time with Revna, we were out working errands and answering any questions curious Vikings needed to know. She taught us smart things━stuff among the lines Hiccup and Fishlegs would like. But it was good to know how to douse a Nadder's flame if Winglash lit something up by accident, or which rocks when hit by dragon flame create which colour (Bucket had specifically wished for that for the new landing posts around the village. Purple fire shone differently than your average orange and red fire, and so riders would know exactly where to go. Thing was, the chief asked for it to be done a week ago and he completely forgot how to make purple fire━and so it was up to the new dragon riders to save the day!)

    And considering she set up shop in the forge, we also started to help out Gobber, Hiccup and Stoick with daily orders. I've found out the forge was quite the place for everyone to hang out. Out of nowhere, when I'd be trying to sharpen a sword, Snotlout would suddenly appear with Hookfang, the Twins and their dragon in tow and announce he, "━Found such a cool cave! But it's only for the cool people, so, Hiccup, Revna, you're not allowed in."