xxxix. The Skrill Factor

renegadeschapter thirty-nine

renegades
chapter thirty-nine

    The last of us to arrive after the attack was Revna and Snotlout. Comfortable in the fur vest Speedifist gave me so I didn't have to hold the blanket, I kept a hand around Winglash's neck, wanting her close. I saw the two of them arrive, supporting their father between them with brows furrowed with worry. It was a look I'd see on Revna, but never Snotlout. Behind them, Moonstone followed, sniffing at Spitelout with small warbles of concern.

    In seeing them, Astrid immediately turned around, eyes wide as her breath hitched. "Revna," she said without hesitation and the younger Jorgenson looked over through her messy dark hair that had fallen out of its braid. My sister and Rev locked gazes, something passing between them that I wasn't too sure about. "Is he okay?"

    Revna opened her mouth to say something, but Snotlout spoke for her, letting out a scoff, "It's our dad," he said, chuckling. Spitelout looked a little dazed but managed to stand up and shake the effects off him and fix his helmet. "He bludgeons his own heard for sport. Of course, he's fine."

    Spitelout opened his mouth to agree, only for a strangled, throat-hurting incoherent noise to come out instead. I frowned, startled. Revna winced, scratching her head with a look that said, no, he's not fine. I knew she had a complicated relationship with her father━he was demanding and put too much on her and her brother, but she still loved him fiercely despite it.

    Realising, Spitelout froze and his hand flew to his throat. He tried again, but only more babbling followed. He grew fustrated, letting out a series of choked yells as he tugged at his beard and hair.

    "Like I said," Snotlout grinned forcefully, "he's fine!"

    Then, he held a hand to cover one side of his cheek and added, softer to the group of them, "Except for that blast of lightning he took to the head." His father finished his incoherent ramble of frustration and Snotlout placed a hand to his heart. Revna glowered at him, not finding this situation amusing at all. "Aw, thanks, Dad! I'm proud of you, too!"

    Hiccup crossed his arms from beside me, brow arched.

     "Well," spoke up Fishlegs, "all the huts seem to be in fairly good condition."

     "All except for one," Astrid moved her attention from Revna to point up to the top of the slope. Stoick looked over and for the first time, he realised the damage.

    He gasped and cried out in horror, "My house!"

    Hiccup seemed to realise something, and his jaw set. His eyes darkened and I saw him glower at the floor. I knew I wanted to ask, but it wasn't the time, especially when the Twins decided they could try and cheer up the chief with a weak:

    "Hey, Chief, is the charred look in this year?"

    Tuff nodded at his sister, "I actually happen to think it's très chic ... Chief." Stoick slowly turned to glare at him. "I'm thinking of doing it to our hut back on the Edge."