xviii. Ice Cave Wonders

renegadeschapter eighteen

renegades
chapter eighteen

     The dragon's features were unmistakable. Even with little showing, its snout, its small, but slender body and no wings. But this dragon didn't need wings.

     "Gods, it's an adolescent Speed Stinger," I let out, and rushed forward.

     "Estrid, wait!" Hiccup tried to stop me, but I didn't listen.

     The dragon was screeching for help from his parents, but they were too far to help, and probably worried out of their minds. Speed Stingers were pack dragons. They were loyal to one another; extremely loyal with the determination to do anything for each other. A true team. They needed it to keep themselves safe. This one was alone from the pack and would die this far away.

     As I neared, he grew distressed. His screeches grew louder and he growled at me, trying desperately to get out of the snow after me. I stopped in my tracks, my breath hitched. Staying very still, I tried to show the dragon that I meant no harm, holding up my hands with no weapon.

     Winglash squawked at me in the same tone Hiccup had called when I rushed off. The chief's son held her and Toothless back with an arm, however, watching me inch closer and closer. He said he trusted me, and I said I trusted him, this would prove it.

     He knew we couldn't just let the dragon die, even if it might come after us instead.

    "Hey..." I whispered softly, crouching down in front of the dragon. He struggled more and I quickly held my hands up. "It's okay, it's okay━I'm not going to hurt you." I know he couldn't understand me, but hopefully the tone of my voice was enough. If only we could talk dragon, that would make life so much easier. We could call it Dragonese ... or something.

    Glancing back, still careful with my movements, I motioned for either Hiccup or Skulder to grab me a fish. Hiccup was quick. Flipping open the basket, he pulled out an Icelandic Char and approached where I was slowly. He crouched down next to me, passing it over.

    "Be careful," he told me. "Younger Speed Stingers don't have much control over their venom. They could do more than paralyse you."

    I took the fish from his fingers, locking his gaze. "I'll be fine." 

    He decided to stay with me despite what I said, a hand ready to pull us back. Feeling his fingers brush on my back sent shivers, and I tried my best to ignore it, focusing in on the adolescent dragon stuck in front of me. I held out the fish for him to take, "Here ... I bet you're hungry, buddy."

    The Speed Stinger sniffed eagerly at the fish. He was hungry. I don't know how long he has been trapped, but it must have been since last night. I edged the fish close enough for him to take it, and his jaws snapped hungrily into the flesh of its neck. I gasped and pulled my hands back quickly. Hiccup tensed beside me.