Melancholy

The fire crackled in the fireplace in Albus Dumbledore's office. Severus Snape was sitting in front of the oak desk with his eyes fixed on the blackened hand of the Headmaster, his ebony wand pointed directly at his hand,and projecting a whitish light. Dumbledore kept his eyes closed while he breathed slowly trying to control the stabbing pain that Snape's counter-curse produced in him. Next to him was a cup with a thick golden potion waiting to be drunk. He had to undergo this treatment regularly after being tempted to wear Marvolo Gaunt's ring. Such audacity would cost him dearly, as Snape had explained, but now his own suffering didn't matter. The news that Severus had taken the Unbreakable Vow with Narcissa Malfoy in the presence of Bellatrix Lestrange fit his plan perfectly. He smiled slightly despite the pain and took a gulp of the potion.

"You still won't tell me why you put the ring on when it clearly had a curse?" Snape asked wryly without looking up. - "Even though I have promised you that I would carry out your insane wish of being the one to end your life?"

Severus still didn't understand how he had ended up in that mess. It had been a few nights since Dumbledore had called him urgently to stop a very powerful dark curse. He thought it might be some enchanted object, but Severus could not believe his eyes when he saw the elderly headmaster twisting in pain on the floor of his office, holding his blackened and putrid hand. He did his best to stop the curse, but it was very ancient dark magic. He realized that it could only be something related to Lord Voldemort and despite his efforts it would not be possible to stop it. Dumbledore would die slowly and painfully after a year.

And then there was Draco Malfoy, his godson, who had been branded a Death Eater and tasked with assassinating the headmaster in retaliation against Lucius for the fiasco at the Ministry of Magic. A task that he clearly would be unable to complete as the Dark Lord well knew. The mission would of course fall to his right hand, Severus Snape.

Snape was hesitant to complete such a task. Dumbledore was the only person who knew of his secret adoration for Lily Evans and he held the headmaster in high regard. However, Dumbledore had asked him to be the one who cast the killing curse instead of Draco. Severus was trying to convince himself that being the executioner of his death was an act of benevolence and would spare Dumbledore enormous suffering. Even so, he did not feel capable of raising his wand against the headmaster. He couldn't even imagine Albus lying dead because of him.

Any doubts were dispelled the afternoon that Narcissa had gone to his home on Spinner's End to beg for help. Her crying and despair had touched him. He knew very well what would happen to Draco if he failed in his plan. Lord Voldemort severely tortured Death Eaters who failed their missions before killing them. Severus still had several scars from past mistakes. He agreed to help Draco and the Unbreakable Vow was the final signing of the contract. At the mercy of his two masters, Severus had no choice but to follow the plan. He blindly trusted Albus Dumbledore and had no choice but to follow Voldemort's instructions if he wanted to stay alive.

Dumbledore stood up and walked slowly to the perch where Fawkes was, patting his beautiful crimson feathered head he said:

"All in due time Severus. Now we must focus on more pressing matters. The attack on the bridge in London; the Ministry is doing its best to make it look like a random accident and the death toll continues to grow. We cannot allow something like this to happen again. What other attacks are the Death Eaters planning?"

"The next attack will happen very soon. In the next few days." -Said Snape- "Carrow is in the lead and he is very stealthy with his plans, but I know it involves his sister Alecto, Selwyn, Goyle, and Greyback. "

"You need to join them. Find out where and how the attack will be. Keep the Order posted and we'll take care to prevent more muggle deaths."

"It will take me a couple of days. I will send the information with my patronus as soon as possible "