Draco Strikes

Warning: 

The next chapter contains scenes with explicit sexual content. Reader discretion is advised.

≫ ──── ≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫ ──── ≪

Professor Snape's bedroom was just behind his office, in the dungeons. It was a spacious room, with a raised ceiling from which an unlit chandelier hung. The only source of light came from the narrow windows that surrounded the room, the panorama they offered could not be more atypical: being underground, the secret depths of the Black Lake were exposed through the glass. The soft blue-green light tinted the white sheets of the black wooden post bed.

Severus was there, leaning against the headboard, his cloak hanging neatly in the closet, his frock coat unbuttoned, his feet bare despite the cold and damp that were always present in the dungeons no matter what time of year. He had given up all effort to change his clothes and have a night's sleep and rest as Dumbledore had commanded:

"I appreciate this information. Now is the time to keep a constant eye on Draco; a cursed artifact is a danger even to himself. Go to rest, surely today was a very long day". - He had said, while he put the invisibility cloak away.

Severus had bowed, but something in his gaze and his haste to leave the office made Dumbledore stop him.

"No, Severus, you will have to stay at Hogwarts tonight, and I would suggest that you start spending more time here. Christmas is nearing and I'm sure Draco will want to strike very soon. Also, I am running out of excuses to tell the other teachers... Minerva is not taking well you have neglected your obligations as Head of House, although, Filius and Pomona are glad that Slytherin has finally lost its biggest sponsor..."

"I can't abandon her." - Severus interrupted him. His gaze fixed on the floor, his soft voice hiding his consternation at receiving such an order.

"You will not, you will only space your visits. I'm sure you already have enough information and samples to continue your research from here. You can work with Remus; he can help you".

"I can't do that to her, Albus. Not now, please..."

"Now? Has something happened recently that I should find out about, Severus?"

Severus looked up at Dumbledore, suddenly noticing how old the Headmaster had become, how exhausted his wrinkled face looked; he had always judged Albus Dumbledore to be the most powerful wizard of all time, magnanimous and just, but this time, he could see beyond the bright blue eyes, he could see the man, weak and old that he had become, he could see the suspicion in his gaze, the resentment at hearing his refusal to the order given. In the end, Albus had never fully trusted him. He wouldn't fully trust Albus either.

"No". - Severus answered lowering his head again. - "Nothing has happened."

"You have always been an exceptionally good liar, Severus. Since your first year at Hogwarts, always hiding feelings, bruises..." - Dumbledore stopped when he noticed the slight shudder in the professor's body - "So I'll pretend to believe you. If there is nothing more to add, you can return to your rooms, surely tonight you can get a good night's sleep. Good evening".

Now in his room and feeling a certain childish satisfaction in rebelling against Dumbledore's orders, Severus decided to have another one of his sleepless nights, immersing himself in his musings and memories. The light from the narrow windows made his sallow face look ugly, giving his skin a sickly hue. He did feel sick, tired, fed up. Fed up with living his life as a mere shadow: Dumbledore, the Dark Lord, Lily. His life had gone by in protecting and assisting those people who took him for granted, who expected everything from him, who had hurt him in one way or another. And then there was her: Laurel.