Lupinaria

The professor and the young woman were muttering under their breath as they set up what appeared to be a makeshift alchemical laboratory with several glass jars that glinted in the dimness of the room and pewter cauldrons that made a hollow noise whenever an ingredient was added inside.

Harry had to lean closer to hear their conversation, huddled next to a dilapidated piano where he could see them clearly; their whispered voices arguing:

"What the hell was that all about?

"What was what about?"

"That ridiculous argument with Lupin".

"He wanted to hurt you..."

"He is ill!"

"So? Is that an excuse to behave like a twat?"

"Yes, it is. What excuse do you have?"

"I can't stand hearing him talking like that, or seeing the way he looks at you..."

The woman's face seemed to redden slightly, although her reproachful expression did not disappear. She continued speaking as she stirred the cauldron, her eyes riveted on Snape who, frowning, avoided looking at her, focusing more than he should on the flame he had lit under the cauldron.

"Yes, I was afraid of him, but you reacted very badly, you shouldn't..."

"Okay, do you want to hear it? Yeah, I am a twat, but it is Lupin's fault, he drives me mad".

Harry smiled inadvertently. Snape, the fearsome and bitter professor accepting that he was an arse?

"You should apologize".

"Apologize to Lupin? Not in this life".

"No, Sev. To Tonks, apologize to Tonks".

The frown between the man's brows seemed to lessen and his lips twisted into a subtle smirk.

"Nymphadora is not interested in my apologies, it is not kindness that she needs from me". - He said slowly as he waved her wand, bringing to life a quill that began to glide rapidly over a piece of parchment, crossing off the steps of a long list of instructions. - "She's always had a thick skin, enough to pass the NEWTs in my class, enough so that my words do not affect her".

"She loves Remus. In my opinion, your words against him do affect her."

"How touching, falling in love with a coward like Lupin... What a ludicrous feeling, love only makes people stupid". - Snape's whispery voice cut off abruptly and Harry could see the professor finally turning his face towards the woman, the dim light illuminating a mortified expression on his sallow face. A strangled squeal escaped from the depths of his throat that the man tried to hide with a fake coughing.

"Laurel..."

"I agree, love makes you stupid". - The woman, who had abruptly stopped her work on the cauldron, spoke in a hollow, cold voice; her grip on the glass stirrer so tight that Harry thought she was about to break it with her hand. - "At least Tonks had the fortune to fall in love with the coward and not with the twat".

"It was not my intention..."

"Please, I don't need to hear your words. I know you well enough to understand how cynical you can be". - She said while shaking her head and throwing a greenish powder into the cauldron. And then with a voice so low that it was almost inaudible, she repeated to herself: "Love only makes people stupid".

"When I said that, I didn't mean..."

"Could you pass me the mistletoe berries? This is about to boil." - She said, ignoring him.