The Dungeon's Lullaby

Warning: 

The next chapter contains scenes with explicit sexual content. Reader discretion is advised.

≫ ──── ≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫ ──── ≪

For a moment he thought he was still dreaming

Severus woke up, feeling comforted to realise that the woman's warm body was still by his side, her smell of sweet spices filling his lungs, her brown hair contrasting with the whiteness of the sheets. However, he also noticed another presence, one that he thought he had been able to push away the night before. One that had been with him for years, that resided in his head and his heart. The memory of Lily still haunted his thoughts.

He let out a sigh and clenched his teeth, embarrassed that Lily's ghost managed to sneak into his mind right after making love to Laurel. He considered using occlumency to make those feelings disappear, but he didn't want to sink into darkness, not now that Laurel's love and passion had filled his body and soul.

He then decided to face her, hugging Laurel, as if she were the anchor that would keep him safe and undaunted in the face of the deluge of remorse that was about to fall on him.

Lily

"I can't pretend anymore. You've chosen your way, I've chosen mine."

"No, listen, I didn't mean..."

"To call me Mudblood? But you call everyone of my birth Mudblood, Severus. Why should I be any different?"

That memory replayed in his head, sharper than ever.

He wished he could have the chance to answer her:

"Because I love you, Lily. Because I never meant to hurt you.

I am sorry, I was angry and humiliated and jealous of James Potter. He fancies you, and you fancy him back, I know. I saw you laughing when that swine hanged me upside down in the air.

I know I am just the boy with the shabby clothes who lives down in dreadful Spinner's End, I know you would never look at me the same way you look at James. But I am begging your forgiveness because I have no one else, because you are my only friend and I don't want to lose you, now that I have lost my family as well.

Last winter I stopped my father from trying to kill my mother, did I tell you that? No, I did not, because it's humiliating enough to know that I'm not as important for you to believe me, to take me seriously when I told you Sirius Black tried to kill me. Even Dumbledore, the wise and just headmaster, has made me swear silence to protect his decision to accept a werewolf at school, he has made me swear to keep my mouth shut to protect his beloved Gryffindors".