An Early Christmas

"Just one day ..." - Hazel said standing up, adjusting the shawl around her shoulders. - "Fern, put David in his crib and let him sleep, help me make breakfast. Laurel, go to the shed and take out the Christmas decorations. With all this drama, there was nothing to celebrate this year, but now... Just one day".

Laurel hugged her mother again and then, signalling Severus to follow her, they exited through a sliding door onto the back porch of the house that led into a small garden, surrounded by a chain-link fence. In the middle of the garden there was a brick fire pit and a few weather-beaten plastic chairs. In the distance, beyond the fence, the outline of a distant forest, no houses in sight. That lonely and silent landscape filled the wizard with an infinite tranquillity. A sense of calm that he could not enjoy at Hogwarts, surrounded by stone walls and the school bustle.

"Severus" - Laurel called him, she had already entered the shed and began to take out dusty boxes.

"Allow me to help you". - He said approaching her and helping her with a long box where the Christmas tree would most likely be found.

"Help me?" - Laurel giggled, putting the box down and shoving Severus into the shed. - "You have done much more than help me today, Severus."

The man felt a chill down his spine when he felt the warmth of Laurel's body very close to his, the smell of moist, the darkness of the shed and the adrenaline of doing something secretly, made him lose any control of himself. Taking the woman by the waist, he pressed her against his body. Laurel raised her face to him, she could almost hear the butterflies fluttering in her stomach, Severus tilted his head towards her, nervous, but convinced that his kiss would not be rejected, Laurel's eyes slowly closed as she felt the warmth of his breath getting closer.

"¡LAUREL!"

Fern's shout stopped them instantly. They both parted, their faces like flares, almost lighting up the interior of the shed.

"Sorry". - They both said at the same time.

Laurel opened her mouth, staring at the wizard, prepared to tell him what she felt, rubbing her hands nervously.

"Severus, I ..."

"Laurel, hurry up!"

"Sorry". - She murmured again, leaving the shed and taking one of the boxes with her. She angrily walked to the porch where Fern was waiting, her arms crossed, and an eyebrow arched. - "No need to shout."

"What were you doing?" - Fern asked, glaring at Severus, who had also come out, and was lifting the box with the Christmas tree.

"Taking the boxes out." - Laurel lied. - "I was also showing my old toys to Severus."

"Severus?" - Fern repeated, with a suspicious tone. - "Were you showing your old toys to your boss?"

"Just shut up, Fern."

After breakfast and after Severus had to refuse the third portion of scrambled eggs and toast that Hazel insisted on putting on his plate, they headed to the living room to start putting up the decorations. It was still a couple of weeks before Christmas, but from the atmosphere that was felt at home, it could be Christmas Eve that very same night.

It took some time and many refusals to accept Laurel's aid before he finally had to surrender to the inability to set up the Christmas tree by himself.

"I still don't understand how you have enough patience." - He whispered as he helped holding the tree, while Laurel screwed the pieces together. - "I would have solved this with a touch of the wand."

Laurel shrugged.

"It would not be the same. The enjoyment is to do it as a family, to have fun doing it". - She replied, standing up and admiring the tree, which still needed its lights and ornaments. - "Ha! Old Henry and I have spent many Christmases together."