my turn now

Students were moving to the music, a chorus of voices that yelled, laughed, and screamed reverberated in your ears. And while you could virtually see nothing ahead of you, your eyes were wide open, searching. Connie kept his grip on you tight as he pulled you through the suffocating ocean of people, alcohol and weed burning your nose.

You didn't see Floch's notorious red hair anywhere, Connie finally pulling you free from the large crowd and down a hallway into a bigger room that was lined with games and books, a pool table pushed off towards the side to make more standing room. The whole group was inside of here, your spot determined so that if needed you could all get away from the racquet.

"I'll get drinks, what does everyone want?" Jean clapped his hands together and people started giving off orders. He looked to you and you shrugged, not really caring what he grabbed.

"Be right back," Jean left the room, disappering in the people.

When he did, everyone turned to look at Eren. He was taking his coat off, but it seemed like he felt the stares, because he stopped and looked up.

"What?" He seemed annoyed and Marco clenched his jaw, something you've never really seen him do, because you've never seen him this mad.

"Do you think this—" Marco gestured to Eren and Mikasa "was a really good idea to display tonight?" That was harsh for Marco, too harsh.

"Hey..." you placed your hand on his arm, his throat clearing at your touch, knowing he needed to rein it in.

"Mikasa and I are dating. Why is that something we should hide?" Eren retorted, placing his hands in his pockets. Mikasa just stood off to the side, distancing herself from all of this.

"You didn't tell us," Armin spoke up, his blue eyes daggers. "You didn't tell me."

"So we all found out tonight?" Sasha asked and Armin shook his head, taking a step towards her.

"I found out yesterday. Marco and Jean have known for a while. You guys all just found out tonight," Armin shot a look at Mikasa, but all she did was stare back, her icy eyes showing no emotion.

"Why are you all mad at me? At us?" Eren's voice was raising, his eyes landing on you and Connie.

"They didn't tell any of us they were getting together, how are Mikasa and I any different?" Connie snorted at that, so did Marco.

"That's because everyone knew those two were going to date. With you, your Armin's best friend. And after what happened at your house with Jean—"

Marco was interrupted by Mikasa's calm voice, the soothing tone in the middle of this storm. "I told Jean he never had a chance with me. It was his fault for failing to move on," Mikasa's words were enough to silence the whole group, and as much as you hated how cold they were sounding, you couldn't disagree with Mikasa or Eren. They had every right to be a couple in front of Jean, the boy who was helplessly in love with the girl who would never want him.

Still, it was hurtful to hide it from everyone, especially Armin, their best friend.

Jean suddenly appeared again, noticing the icy tension that had built up in the room since he'd left. It didn't take him long to realize what it was about.

"Anyone wanna come dance?" He suddenly blurted out.

"I'll come," Sasha smiled and took a drink from Jean's hands, Armin and Marco following her lead. Jean cleared his throat and set the other drinks down before heading after Sasha and them.

It was now just you, Connie, Eren, and Mikasa. And boy was it uncomfortable. Niccolo was supposed to be coming later, but he'd probably stick with Sasha instead of joining this awkward brigade.