hold on

"Horse riding?" You stared at Connie with a blank expression, your eyebrows slightly raised. He shrugged at you and stepped closer, taking your hands in his as he pulled them away from your pockets.

"Don't you wanna see your boyfriend show off?" Connie pouted, leaning down to your level as he tried to match your gaze.

It'd been a week since Falco had called about Floch. And it had been all you were thinking about.

"Do I still have your attention?" Connie placed a hand on your head as he tilted it up, his eyes searching yours, those golden eyes of his filled with so many questions you couldn't answer.

"I've never been riding. Plus, it's freezing out," you pointed out and Connie furrowed his brows, tilting his head to one side.

"I can teach you, plus, it's just a trail ride. The horses need to be taken out anyways," he removed his hand and stepped away, leaning against the kitchen counter as he studied you.

"What?" You awkwardly smiled and Connie took a breath, squinting his gaze.

"What's up? You've been acting weird lately," he stated and you felt your chest tighten.

"It's just school stuff, that photography assignment is stressing me out," you lied and folded your arms across your chest.

"Okay, well, come riding with us and I promise all your problems will go away."

"You promise?"

"Have I ever lied to you?" You bit your lip, hoping he was right.

─────────────────

Little white clouds escaped from your lips as you laughed at something Connie was talking about. He was trying to figure out why a hot dog wasn't considered a sandwich and why it was in its own category. He had a point, it was a piece of meat between two slices of bread. That qualified as a sandwich.

"Didn't the supreme court rule it as a sandwich?" You asked and Connie went silent as he thought for a moment.

"I don't know actually..." he replied, looking to you with a confused expression.

"We can look it up when we get back," you laughed and Connie nodded his head to that, flicking his reins to make his horse go a beat faster than you.

You had never ridden before, so they had given you Bennie. He was an oldie, one of the more gentler and relaxed horses. He was a pretty black color with a white patch on his underbelly. So far, he had been doing a good job, keeping at a steady pace and never wandering off.

You looked behind you to see Sasha, Jean, and Marco all together laughing at some sort of story on Marco's animated face. You smiled at them as you watched, admiring the way they all got along.

Sasha suddenly let out a squeal at some joke Jean had muttered behind you, your horse instantly flinching at it, letting out distressed nickers as it began to rear back. Your smile fell as you wobbled in the seat, trying to stay centered.

"Okay, okay, okay, okay, okay, steady boy! Steady!" You tried to calm him down but he kept stepping wildly, fighting your direction as he kept rearing back.

"Don't pull back! Loosen the reins and try to lean forward!" Marco called out as your horse was still skittish.

"Whoa! Heel! Heel! Heel boy, heel! Wh-!" You let out a yelp as the horse took off, thundering down the trail as you bounced up and down, gripping the reins as you tried to stay on. You attempted to breathe but it was nearly impossible since it felt like your lungs were lurching into your throat.