tide's changing

The dim lighting in the clothing store was making you sluggish as Sasha trudged through skirts, shirts, and dresses. You'd been at the mall for nearly two hours now after your photography class had ended. You weren't sure how much longer you were going to be here since Sasha drove, but it was probably going to be a while.

The place smelled like a mix of different perfumes and colognes, an unhealthy abundance of chemicals lingering in the air. Light pop music was playing over the speakers, the kind that was annoying to listen to but good enough to remain as background noise. Pre-teens littered the store with giggles and way over the top dramatics.

You didn't know why but the intimidation from them was really getting to you. It was just something about those judgemental stares and immaturity that was really irritating— the popular kind.

"What do you think about this?" Sasha held up a school girl styled skirt, the plaid being gold and navy in color. You nodded your head, approving of the look as you touched the fabric, the thickness of it throwing you off a bit.

"It'll last you forever, that's for sure," you admired the fabric and Sasha smiled, adding it to her pile of clothing to try on. There was so much dangling from her arm that you wondered how her arm hadn't fallen off yet.

"Is there anything you like?" She piped up and you quickly glanced across the store until your eyes landed on a black velvet dress with embroidered golden stars all over it. You went over and snatched a size off the shelf, holding it up for Sasha to see.

"Ooo, that's cute! You should try it on!" She encouraged and you followed her over to the dressing rooms, picking out the empty one across from Sasha.

So you changed into the dress and looked at yourself in the mirror. You hoped it didn't look too childish, fearing the stars would give off that vibe, but you really did love it. It was something simple and cute, a dress you could wear for any occasion— and a girl always needed a little black dress. It was a rule (at least that's what Sasha had always said).

"Wanna see?" You called out from the stall and Sasha answered with an excited yes. You opened the door and stepped out, waiting for Sasha to finish whatever clothing she was putting on.

He door clicked open and her eyebrows rose as a smile spread across her face, letting out an excited, "That's so cute!"

"You think?" You asked and Sasha eagerly nodded her head, coming over to touch the fabric.

"If you don't buy it, I will," she teased and winked at you before heading back into her changing room. You did the same and looked at yourself in the mirror. It was a dress worth buying, and not a bad price either.

With a smile, you decided to buy it, putting your other clothes on and walking out of the changing room with the dress, waiting for Sasha to finish.

You felt your phone buzz in your pocket and you quickly pulled it out, seeing that Marco had messaged you. You unlocked your phone and went to messages, seeing that Connie hadn't replied to you yet.

What are you doing tonight?

You wanted to work on your photography project tonight by taking pictures in the park at night, but maybe Marco could join you. Being on campus alone at night as a female wasn't the safest thing, sadly.

I'm working on my photography assignment and going to a park tonight. Wanna come?

Sure! Can Jean join?

That'd be fine ;)

Shut up.

You let out a light laugh and put your phone back in your pocket, turning around as Sasha got your attention.