five

Episode Five: Midsummers

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

Aleyuh Carrera

Kie and I were getting ready for Midsummers; our parents were out running errands. I quickly did Kie's make up then mine. Once I was done, I heard a knock at my window. I turn to see JJ; I open my window.

"What are you doing?" I question, examining his face to see more cuts and bruises. "Did they do that to you at the station?" I lightly touched his face.

"Nah, it was my dad." He forced a smile at me. "You know its nothing that hasn't happened before."

"This isn't okay, JJ." I sighed.

"I'll be okay, I promise, sweetheart." He smiled. "I gotta go find John B." He got onto his bike and drove off.  I sigh, going back into the bathroom to do my hair.

~

"This is disgusting." I grimace, Kie and I were standing in front of the mirror in our dresses. I wanted to rip my heavy head piece off.

"I know. It's just horrible." Our mom shouted from the bathroom. "I'm asking you to relax and go to a fun party."

"We look like bourgeoisie pigs." Kie grumbled as our mom walked into the room.

"Will you two please not worry about socioeconomic injustice for one night?" Our mom begged as she put earrings in. We walked over to her.

"Mom, people not three miles from here have no power, no running water, and we're going to Midsummers." I explained. "That's so tone-deaf."

"Do you know how hard we had to work to get into the Island Club?" Our mom questioned.

"Yeah, Mom. How could we forget? You had to grovel for, like, ten years..." Kie trailed off.

"Twelve," Our mom corrected, walking into the bathroom. "and we also had to cough up a huge chunk of dough, and do you two know why we did that?" She came back out.

"To keep up with the Joneses?" We both answer, in a question like tone.

"No. So you two could have the experiences that I had as a child." I groaned at our moms correction. "My loves, do you know what the Island Club is?"

"Rich people bragging about how rich they are." I criticized.

"A factory farm for debutantes." Kie snapped causing me to laugh.