fifteen

Episode Five: The Darkest Hour

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

Aleyuh Carrera

"John Booker Routledge, pursuant to the North Carolina statute section 14, you are charged with murder in the first degree with aggravated circumstances. If convicted, the maximum sentence would be the death penalty." The judge announced, I looked over at JJ with wide eyes as everyone began talking.

"Your Honor, he's 17. He's 17! Are you kidding me?" JJ stood up. "Hey, John B, we're gonna figure it out."

"Hey, we'll figure it out, baby." I whispered, clinging onto JJ's flannel.

"John B! John B! John B! No!" Sarah cried, trying to chase after him as the officer took him away.

"Sarah!" We all called after her. Kiara quickly grabbed her and we all walked out.

"This is ridiculous." Chase scoffed, running his finger through his hair. We heard all the comments of people saying he had it coming and justice was served. I gripped onto JJ's hand tightly.

"Is this a joke? Like, are we in hell or...?" Kie asked in complete shock and anger.

"We're definitely in hell, and Ward is the devil." I scoffed, looking at Sarah. "Sorry."

"I should have never come home." Sarah declared, tears still on her cheeks.

"They're gonna kill him, guys. I know it." JJ mentioned.

"Our mom will help us get him a lawyer." Chase reassured my friends.

"Sorry for what you and your family have gone through. Thank God the system works." Someone walking away with Ward said.

"Can you please shut up? Of course you think the system worked because it was made to protect you and people like you." Kie spat angrily.

"He'll have his day in court. A jury will decide." The man shrugged.

"He shouldn't even be in court!" Kie exclaimed. "You should, 'cause you're a murderer. You have a lot of nerve showing up to court." She pointed at Ward.

"I know you're upset. I understand you're upset, okay?" Ward spoke up.

"Upset?" I scoffed, crossing my arms across my chest.