Preface: Part One

"What if I told you you'd meet up an old friend today?" My friend, Nicola, questioned.

"I'd think you're completely insane," I retorted, glancing over at Nicola in the driver's seat. "Plus, why would I want to meet someone I haven't seen in years? I have all the friends I need, right here!"

"But I think you'll like it."

"Nic," I said flatly, "Where are we going?"

"You'll see."

It had taken a long time for Nicola to convince me to come along, but after lots of coaxing, and even $20, I had finally agreed.

I was virtually in the dark about the whole situation.

"Look, you're really going to thank me..."

"Just shut up and take me wherever we're supposedly going." I spat, rolling my eyes.

Nicola sped up then, afraid of what might be in store if we didn't make it there in the next five minutes.

Though, Nicola had learned to never take my threats to heart.

Growing up together in Kladno, Czech Republic, the two of us were inseparable. In fact, we were the only two that had kept in touch with after all these years.

"We're here!" Nicola sing-songed, putting the car in park and pulling out the key.

"Great." I scoffed, rolling my eyes.

We found ourselves at an unusually-busy mall in downtown Winnipeg, Manitoba.

"Wow, a mall!" I cried, sarcastically, of course, "I am so intrigued!"

"Just, follow me..." Nicola demanded, grabbing my hand as they navigated through the building.

There was a crowd of people surrounding a long row of tables. I was throughly confused.

"Can you just please tell me why we're here?"

"Look." Nicola cried, pointing towards the table. Right in the middle of the mall sat a bunch of large, attractive men; signing autographs.

"Oh, that's right," I chimed in, "Isn't Winnipeg supposed to be getting an NHL team back?"

"Yeah, but that's not why we came..."

Nicola directed me through the crowd until we reached a lineup that seemed to stretch for more than a hundred people.

"Are you serious?" I shrieked, "We're going to wait this long for a bunch of athlete's autographs? I don't even like hockey!"

"Yeah, but someone else did."

The line felt endless. It had been over an hour, and we were almost at the front of the pack. The lineup at other player's tables were shorter, but Nicola insisted we stay standing in this particular line.

Then, it hit me like a school bus.

"Hi, girls," the accented man spoke, "Who should I make this out to?"

"Ondrej?" I questioned, my jaw almost hitting the floor.

"Yeah," he chuckled, "I am Ondrej Pavelec."

By now, I knew exactly who he was. Nicola, Ondrej, Jakub, Michael and I were best friends in high school.

"You-you don't remember me?" I asked sadly.

"I'm so sorry," he frowned, shaking his head, "I've met so many fans, I can't remember you all..."

Fans. Myself and Nicola were much, much more than just another fan.

"Uh, that's quite alright," I sighed, grabbing the signed picture from the table, "Thanks."

I had continued to stand there, in front of him, for a few moments longer. The look in his eye indicated he was thinking hard, but eventually he gave up.

"Why don't we meet for drinks sometime?" He suggested.

I looked over at Nicola who had a wide smile, nodding.

"That sounds awesome."

I handed Ondrej a piece of paper with my number on it. He thanked me, and we made out way back to the car.

"See, wasn't that worth it?" Nicola asked, plopping down into the driver's set.

As much as I didn't want to admit it, it really was worth it.

Ondrej and I had been best friends for years. I would go to all his hockey games, cheer him on, and I supported him all the way up until the time he was drafted in the NHL.

He was the reason I didn't like hockey anymore.

I was so devastated to find out he was going to live in North America, that I never wanted to have anything to do with hockey.

There was no way I could experience the same feelings towards another hockey player.

"Yeah," I muttered, lost in my own little thoughts, "I can't wait to see him again..."

---

"Anna!" A male's voice called from across the arena. I turned to see Ondrej at the other end of the room. I began to run towards him.

"Ondra!" I cried, jumping into his arms. He spun me around a few times.

"We did it!" He shouted, putting me down, "We won!"

"I know, I know," I cried, growing more and more excited, "I'm so proud of you!"

We embraced once more, which gave me a nose-full of Ondrej's cologne after he had freshly showered.

Though, our celebration didn't last long.

"Hello, Ondrej," A man greeted, completely ignoring my presence. "Can I speak to you over there for a moment?"

He just nodded, thoroughly confused as to what was going on. Ondrej excused himself and followed the two sharply dressed men.

I watched the three of them, trying to make out what they were saying. It didn't take long before I had realized the shorter, plumper man was an interpreter for Ondrej. Seeing as how he could barely speak any English.

She continued to watch as Ondrej's facial expressions went from confused, to excited, in seconds. A large smile had replaced his pursed lips, and his stare had softened.

He was happy.

The two men shook Ondrej's hand and went on their way.

Ondrej raced over to me, a huge smile remained on his face.

"What happened?" I asked anxiously.

"That was a scout," he explained, still smiling, "He said he'd like me to come play in North America, in the QMJHL. Then, I can get drafted into the NHL next year!"

My body suddenly felt limp; like my muscles refused to move. A pit grew in my stomach.

"That's... That's great, Ondrej," I replied, forcing a smile to match his, "I'm so happy for you!"

Once again, Ondrej enveloped me into a tight hug. I could tell he was happy, so who was I to put a damper on things?

Plus, we were just friends, anyways. Nothing more.

As we embraced, we were accompanied by Nicola and Michael, who had been in a relationship for almost two years. They joined us in celebrating, because little did Nicola know, Michael would be headed to North America shortly after, as well.

That was a day what was still fresh in my memory. It was as if it was just yesterday... I had lost my best friend.