Day Eight

The smell of pizza was still evident throughout the whole apartment. Last night, after watching our third movie, Ondrej and I had ordered a pizza. The box was still on the table, but Ondrej was nowhere to be found.

I got up off the couch and wandered around, until the doorknob turned, and I jumped.

It was Ondrej.

He chuckled, as I quickly realized that I wasn't wearing pants. Only underwear, and his baggy sweater.

My face burned red, as Ondrej approached me and hugged me.

"You're a complete and utter dork." He shook his head, wrapping his arms around my waist, "But a very lovable one."

He bopped my on the nose, before making a v-line for the fridge. I turned to look at him, nose deep in the refrigerator.

"And where have you been, Mr. Pavelec?" I questioned, leaning against the door frame with my arms crossed.

"Oh, I just went to China for a few hours," he retorted sarcastically, "You know, the usual Thursday morning routine."

"Seriously."

"Pregame skate."

"And I'm supposed to believe that?" I teased, heading off to the bathroom.

There was no reply from Ondrej.

I began to get myself ready. I started with a quick shower, which eventually turned into fifteen minutes, then I scurried, in a towel, over to our room just a few steps away. I fished through my suitcase, until I found my blue romper; which just so happened to be the same outfit I had been wearing when I met Ondrej at the bar.

And even though it was already October, Winnipeg was still warm enough for summer clothes.

I returned to the living room after applying a light layer of makeup, only to be greeted by a whole bouquet of my favourite flowers; orange lilies.

"Happy Day Eight, baby," he said, pulling me into him, "There's not a person on earth, who I'd have rather spent these past seven days with, than you, Anna."

I was flattered, sure, but what was the bug occasion? It wasn't an anniversary, nor Christmas or my birthday.

"What's going on?" I blurted, "What are these for?"

"For you, duh," he chuckled, "Just because I love you."

"Where did they come from?" I asked, confused.

"Remember what I said," he stated, lifting my chin with his index finger, "I have my ways."

Of course I was grateful, but it really wasn't like me-- the voices, to let people do nice things like that for me. Whether it was a special occasion or not, I hated having that feeling of owing others.

"Are you okay?" Ondrej asked, breaking me from my trance.

"No, Ondrej, I'm not." I answered, still slightly dazed.

I made my way over to the couch and sat down. Ondrej joined me seconds later.

"Talk to me, babe." Ondrej demanded, taking both my hands in his.

This was the time when I finally let it all out. For years and years, I had held it all back.

"...having you here, Ondra, has been the best thing to have ever happened to me." I finished, tears streaming down my cheeks. It was then, that Ondrej cupped his hands around my cheeks, and wiped away each tear with the stroke of his thumb.

"You probably think I'm insane," I giggled between sniffles. "And I don't--"

"Far from it, sweetheart," he reassured, staring deeply into my eyes with sincerity, "I love you, and I'll do anything for you. If you're having a bad time, I am too. Your goals are my goals; your dreams are my dreams. Whatever is important to you, will always be important to me."

I just sat there silent. I didn't know what to say, so I just continued to stare into his eyes without a word. Until, he pulled my face closer to his.

"I'm going to help you through this, okay?"

His light blue, piercing eyes left me speechless, and even stunted my crying. I searched his eyes, almost as if I was looking for answers.

"That's what I'm here for," he spoke again, his warm breath touching my chin, "For you, darling."

It was then, that he pressed his lips to mine softly. I pulled him closer, until he backed away. Without a word, he scanned the room. I was confused, until he pointed towards a book on my nightstand.

"What's that?" He asked, walking towards it.

"A book," I replied sarcastically, "It's a device they used to use for reading. You should try it once in awhile."

He didn't even bother coming back with a smartass response like he usually would.

"No," he retorted, "I mean, where'd you get this?"

He held up a child's book, one in which I had taken everywhere with me ever since I was younger. It was then that I realized I had forgotten to hide it after I had pulled it out from my suitcase earlier.

"This was my favourite book while I was growing up," he started, sitting back down next to me on the bed, "It's even in Czech... Where'd you find--"

"Your mom gave it to me." I blurted, "Your mom had kept it, and after you went to North America, she gave it to me, so I could have something to remember you by while you were gone."

A warm, happy smile appeared across Ondrej's face, as he laid me down next to him, and intertwined our fingers.

"My mom used to read this to me all the time as a little boy." He explained, opening the book to the first page, "It always made me fall asleep."

He began to read slowly, page by page. Eventually, his deep, warming voice put me to sleep. The last thing I remembered, was a soft kiss on my forehead, before my whole world went peaceful and quiet.

The darkness really was beautiful... Just the way I wanted it to be, if only I could share it with Ondrej.