Day Six

Before we knew it, we were back in Winnipeg.

Cold, cold Winnipeg.

According to Nicola, it had been snowing almost everyday since we'd been gone.

"Yeah," she started, "I got back from visiting Michael in Chicago, and it just wouldn't stop snowing."

"I'm not surprised," Ondrej chuckled, "I've heard a lot about Winnipeg weather."

Nicola laughed.

"Anyways," I rolled my eyes playfully, "How was your trip?"

"Amazing!" She cried, "I got to spend a week with Michael, and I got to see him play in all four games. I have absolutely fallen in love with that city..."

I didn't like where this was going.

"And, Michael invited me to move in with him." She said, quieter and more cautiously.

Ondrej squeezed my hand tighter, then, knowing damn well I'd be torn up over hearing that.

For as long as I could remember, Nicola and I had been best friends.

We did everything together; not to mention, we always lived in the same city. In all of my 22 years, she had never lived away from me. Hearing that did crush me, and I was glad I had Ondrej there.

"Are you going to?" I asked, quieter than I had anticipated.

"Anna," she sighed, "I have to. I love living near you and Ondrej, but Michael is my boyfriend. I love him, and I want to be with him, and closer to him. I hope you understand."

I could feel myself tense up, and I knew Ondrej could, too, judging by the protective hand he placed upon my shoulder.

"Do what you gotta do, NiNi," I smiled softly, "Just know, we'll always be best friends, okay? And Ondrej and I will come and visit, and..."

The voices. They were back, and with full force. I had only heard them a handful of times after moving to Winnipeg, but this time it was different.

They were worse than they had ever been.

"...we love you."

I managed to finish my sentence, before running to Ondrej and I's room. I could barely handle hearing the voices while I was alone, not to mention surrounded by others.

Once finally reaching my room, it didn't take me long to fall asleep. In fact, as soon as my head hit the pillow, I was out for the count.

I managed to sleep for a fee hours. That is, until I was awoken by a knock on the door. It was around this time, that both Ondrej and Nicola knew would be all right to check on me.

This wasn't their first rodeo. I am, and always have been, a handful, but I still have two wonderful people in my life, who are willing to love me for who I am.

If they can accept me, why can't I accept me?

I slowly rose from the bed, and opened the door slowly, only to find myself face-to-face with Ondrej and Nicola. Tears burned my eyes, then, knowing that this was the last time the two people I loved most, would be together.

"Ondrej," I smiled, placing my hands on his chest, "Can you give Nicola and I a few moments?" I began to push on his chest, until he gave in and left the room.

I returned to the bed and sat on the edge.

"Come sit down, NiNi," I patted the bed next to me. "I want to talk to you."

I watched as Nicola gulped, then sat next to me hesitantly. She never was good in these sad, heartfelt moments.

Though, truthfully, neither was I.

"So..." she started.

"You're moving to Chicago?" I blurted, raising and eyebrow at her.

"Yeah," she sighed, "After thinking about it for a along while, I decided it was time for a change. Plus, I want to spend my whole life with Michael, and I can't do that while I'm in Winnipeg, Anna. I love you and Ondrej with all my heart, but you gotta know that I need Michael."

"I understand."

"I wanted to thank you, too," she continued, "Thank you for everything. For being there for me when no one else was, for supporting my choice to move to Chicago, and most of all, just being the best friend I could ever ask for."

Tears began burning my eyes, then, and I knew I wouldn't be able to contain them much longer.

"You know this isn't the end, honey," my voice broke, "We'll always be best friends. Ondrej and I will miss you like crazy, and you know when the Jets play the Hawks next, we'll see each other again, okay?"

The voices overwhelmed me now, making the tears flow faster than ever before. Nicola pulled me close, and I could've swore, for a few seconds, I heard the tough, cold-hearted girl shed a few tears, too.

It was then, that Ondrej came in. Having his protective arm around my body, ended the voices abruptly. I held him tighter than I ever had before.

"I love you guys to much." I muttered, through my tears. I even let a giggle escape my lips, between the tears.

"I love you, too, baby girl." Nicola smiled.

"I love you, babe." Ondrej mumbled, his voice muffled from my shoulder.

"Look, I've gotta go and pack," Nicola said abruptly, "My plane leaves tomorrow morning."

"I'll drive you to the airport." Ondrej nodded.

"Thank you," Nicola paused, "For everything. Both of you."

And with that, she was gone.

Ondrej and I sat next to each other for awhile longer, one of his arms around my shoulders, and the other, free hand holding mine.

Though, it didn't last long. It was only ten minutes later, when I found myself asleep in his arms, the voices finally letting me rest, thanks to Ondrej.

I could finally relax, and let the darkness engulf me.

All thanks to Ondrej, my guardian angel.