Author's Note

Hello, everyone! Ataraxia2512 here!

For your information, this is actually my first time writing a historical fiction story, although I did write stuff when I was still in secondary school. First of all, many of you must be wondering as why I wrote such story even though I am an amateur when it comes to writing, moreover in English?

Recently I came across a female historical figure whose story was kept dimmed in comparison to her counterparts. Those who love Chinese history must know that its history is rich with stories of many dynasties, emperors, wars and last but not least, women. Throughout many millennia, notable women were associated with beauty, quick-wit, strong, have great influence on men and kingdoms and virtues which have been displayed in many soap operas, dramas and literature works. Some of these beauties are legendary like Xishi, Wang Zhaojun and Diao Chan, but some of them were real deals like Empress Wu of Tang Dynasty, Empress Zhao Feiyan of Han Dynasty and Empress Dowager Cixi of Qing Dynasty.

For this time around, my focus is on a young girl named Ding Lingguang, who was born with a prophecy of becoming a phoenix in future, only after she married a dragon. Phoenix and dragon are sacred animals in Chinese culture and beliefs, with dragon symbolizes an emperor and phoenix an empress consort. As this story sets in ancient Chinese setting, many ancient words and ethics would be prevailed throughout the story. (Those who know if I am using incorrect terms, please let me know in the comment section).

For starting, here is the list of some Chinese words that are used in this story:

1. fuqin – father (ancient address to call a father)

2. muqin - mother (ancient address to call a mother)

Also, note that I mentioned about the drama of The Princess Weiyoung, one of the famous Chinese dramas aired in 2016. This is mentioned as I made my readings based on dramas which focused on the Northern-Southern Dynasties.

Credit the photo to cromaconceptovisual from Pixabay.