Chapitre 5: jī bù kě shī, shí bù zài lái (Opportunity knocks but once)

Huiru was so indulged in her ballet dance that she had forgotten her surroundings. Her legs moved swiftly on the ground – sometimes in plié as her knees bend to provide her body strength to spring, jump and absorb shock, sometimes in battement with one of her leg stretched to the front, side or back in single movement or full swing; choreographed every movement of combination of pas d'élévation, entrechat, jeté and tour en l'air as she moved about in the town.

The townsfolk were captivated by her graceful and refined dancing movement, some even thought that the daughter of Ding family was out of mind and some were wondering what type of dancing she projected. Seemingly froze by her movement as people stopped buying and selling stuff on the side road, all eyes were set on this beautiful young girl who was known for her mythical future prediction.

Huiru was drowned in her own limelight – a feeling she missed the most when she was on the stage to display her ballet choreography, but suddenly she realised that she had caught unnecessary attention from the townsfolk, hence she halted her dancing and started to walk swiftly while covering her face with her long sleeves and went to hide behind a building on a small lane. Not long after that, the town was bustling again as the people heard the sound of loud gongs and drums from the outside of the town. People started to clear the road and lined up on both side of the road to make way for the procession that brought the new Governor of Yong Province into the City of Xiang Yang. They cheered when the procession entered the entrance door of the city.

(A photo by Jansel Ferma from Pexels depicting Huiru danced her ballet in the town street)

The young girl gave a glimpse at the procession; it excited her small heart, hence she went out from her hiding to join the crowd. She saw many young girls and women among the crowd, chatting and gossiping some juicy stuff about the newly elected Governor of Yong Province.

I heard that our new governor is a shi zong! I bet he is very intelligent, considering that he had achieved so many achievements at such young age, gifted in both military and literature, and even being a part of "the Eight Friends of West Jingling". He's truly a genius in many areas like divination, calligraphy of Cao, archery, and even good at Go!, said one woman.

Oh, my! He's indeed a genius. How old is he again? 30 years old something right? Many people said that he has heavenly looking, said woman number 2.

Oh, really that handsome! Oh, I wanna marry him if he's really that gorgeous, said one young, teenage girl.

Oh no, you don't want to marry him. Heard that he is only loyal and faithful to his principal wife. I think he's faithful to her because she is a daughter of a princess. Who dares to mess with a royalty especially when she's your wife!! said woman number 3.

No! You won't like to be married to him. I heard a rumour that the governor is a monster and his wife is a carnivorous. They are famous for eating human flesh, said woman number 4.