Chapter 21 | Friendship and Strong Bonds

"Maybe there are things worth fighting for. Doesn't mean it has to be my life, but I'll need it to fight for those things."

"Fighting together with the Devil of the Shield?" The Pope snarked down at the five heroes forming a stance altogether. "A foolish act befitting the fake heroes. You leave me no choice but to purge you. Not a trace of you must remain."

Sakura crouched a little lower, preparing her blades on either side of her as she awaited his attack. Naofumi and the rest of the heroes, along with Motoyasu's and Naofumi's parties, were right behind them in their own stances. They will need to cooperate to defeat the Pope, the one who wields a replica of all five Cardinal weapons.

It is deadly enough to have one Cardinal weapon, and to have all five of it will only mean that he will be able to counter any skill that they may have in store. They will need to think harder to defeat him.

"We pray to our god, the source of all power, bring about a miracle and protect the blessed!" The worshippers behind the Pope prayed in sync.

"High-Level Multi-Caster Defense Magic: Cathedral!" As the Pope chanted his magic spell, a ball of darkness came from his weapon and launched itself up in the air moderately. It looms over them and formed an emerald crystallized cathedral all over them, locking them inside with the Pope. The worshippers were outside of the casted spell. It annoyed Sakura for a little.

If they can't get to the worshippers, they won't be able to stop mana from flowing towards the Pope. Her initial plan was to cut his mana supply by targeting the worshippers instead of the Pope himself, but that idea flew right out of the window when he casted such an enormous spell around them.

"Welcome to my Cathedral! This is your final destination!" The Pope exclaims.

"F-final destination?" Motoyasu stutters. One look in his eyes and Sakura was sure that he was about to piss his pants.

"Isn't that a movie?" She mutters to herself.

"This isn't really the best time to think about movies in our world, Sakura." Ren says beside her, hearing her whisper quite clearly.

"I can't help it." She says back. "Let's go."

Ren prepared his sword in front of him, holding the handle with both hands. It wasn't long until his sword began to glow neon blue, a violent color that served as a warning for an incoming attack. "Thunderbolt Slash!"

And assisted by Itsuki's Thunder Shot, they simultaneously attacked the Pope. However, it was deflected by a barrier that he casted on the air. It didn't even get close to him.

But that wasn't Naofumi's plan.

"Filo! Raphtalia!"

"Right!"

As the Pope launches an attack towards the both of them, Sakura dashed herself right in front of the two and deflected it with her blades. Filo took it as her cue to lanch herself up with High Quick and get Raphtalia as close to the Pope as possible.

She swings her powered sword down right towards him, but was blocked by the replicated Cardinal Sword that the Pope has been using. He stumbles back a little from Raphtalia, and it appeared that he was injured.

But the worshippers from outside the cathedral gave him enough magic that his injury was gone in a blink. It was as if he had quick regeneration.

"Filo! One more time!" Instead of Raphtalia getting on Filo, it was Naofumi who was planning to attack next. "Motoyasu! Sakura! You're coming with me!"

Filo runs to grab Motoyasu by his cape with her beak, launching themselves up in the air. Sakura didn't have any problem jumping high up from the ground and catching up to the two. "You two hit attack me as hard as you can!"