Chapter 8 | Dragon Slayer

"I am responsible for my own decisions."

Sakura was back in the throne room with the rest of the five heroes and their parties. She was only there to receive her reward from the first Wave, so she didn't pay much attention to whatever the King was babbling about. Servants emerged from the side of the room with bags of money to be given to the five heroes. When she noticed that, she pulled herself out of her thoughts and began listening.

"For Motoyasu-dono, 4,000 silver pieces." The King said. "Itsuki-dono and Ren-dono receive 3,800 silvers."

The King suddenly met Sakura's gaze. Neither of them were wavering. "Sakura-dono receives 3,600 silvers." He said. "As for the Shield Hero, we initially have the minimum of 500 silvers, but because it's offset by the cost of freeing his slave from her curse, he receives no reward this time."

Sakura's party members already prepared for what was about to come.

"I don't think that'll cut it." Sakura says.

"What do you know?" Myne dares ask her.

Sakura almost laughed at the girl's confidence. As she was about to speak, Itsuki and Ren backed her up. "You interfered in his duel, dispelled the slave crest, and now refuse to pay what he deserves?" Itsuki sighs.

"Right? If everyone had gone by the rules of the duel, Naofumi would've won." Ren glanced at Motoyasu.

"I-I didn't lose!" The eldest argued. His pride really is too much for him to let go.

"You're wrong, Itsuki-sama, Ren-sama. It was a one-on-one duel, and the Shield Hero was the one with monsters hidden in his cape." Myne defended. "That is why my father didn't declare him the victor."

"Even so, you cheated by summoning a magic spell." Sakura whistles.

"Also, Naofumi and Sakura were the ones who defended the village in the knights' stead. I believe he must be compensated in some way, the same as Sakura was compensated." Ren finishes for them.

"Fine, I will grant him 500 silvers. Now, begone!" The King was obviously infuriated.

Naofumi was about to go and bite back, but Raphtalia held an arm in front of him and smiled reassuringly. "Isn't this great, Naofumi-sama?" She suddenly glared at the King, impressing Sakura. "We don't have to waste our time here anymore."

Sakura leaned forward to look over Ren and called for the girl's attention. As Raphtalia turned to her, Sakura lets a grin appear on her lips and held a thumbs up. "I like your attitude." She whispers.

The fact that Sakura has shown a pleasant reaction to Raphtalia's retort infuriated the King. Not only that, but Ren and the rest of the heroes were in shock at her sudden grin. A smile definitely changed her features and aura in an instant. It was almost hard to believe that it was Sakura herself.

She waves goodbye to both Naofumi and Raphtalia when they left, having the demi-human wave back at her with a big smile of her own. Sakura turns back to the throne with her lips curling into a smirk. "Would you look at that? Not even the title of royalty can make everyone kneel before you." She laughs.

It echoed all around the room, as if it were mocking the incompetent King.

The tension in the room only increased because of her taunt. Ren and Itsuki were still trying to accept that she actually did more than scorn at the King. It was unusual of her, extremely out of character.

Sakura laughed.

"We're off, then." She turned her back on the King and motioned for her party to follow her out. Haru and Freya were trying to contain their laughter as they followed their leader, Ria and Nami covering their mouths with both hands as they were already releasing a string of giggles.