The Party

The Party

Every year, whatever weekend was closest to Cinco de Mayo, the Alvarez family threw a huge party at a nearby park. It started out as ironic; most Mexicans just laughed at the way Americans had adopted this day as a celebration of Mexican independence and culture, completely ignoring Sept 16. But over the years it slowly shifted into a truly magnificent party with hundreds of people including their extended family but also close friends.

Rosa considered it a business expense, a form of advertising. She made it a shining example of what her little catering company could do and as a result, always walked away with almost more clients than she could handle. Her husband, Jesus, made good money as a contractor, but she was proud of the money she brought in. They had a lot of family to care for. Her daughter Yamilet, and her son Manny lived with him. Her older daughter Maria did as well, and of course there were Jesus' parents. Along with them, there were elderly aunts, uncles and new babies always being born, college tuition to pay, quinceaneras to plan. Family was everything and everyone always chipped in financially whenever they could. Even her baby, Diego, worked hard and gave most of his paycheck to her to divy up among the relatives.

She sighed, watching as her boy watched Cameron help organize one of the many food tables. It was strange how Cameron had slipped seamlessly into their family. He spoke no Spanish, but had already become the pet of Diego's abuela Daniela. If he was at the house, he always checked in with her, bringing some sunshine to her day, rubbing her feet sometimes as she watched TV. Now she ordered him about in rapid Spanish, leaning on her cane, a huge smile on both their faces as Cameron tried to figure out what she wanted. Eventually he stood before her, finally taller than someone else, and shook his head, confused. Daniela pinched his cheek saucily and he walked her to the table so she could show him what to do. Diego was quite a ways away, but his eyes never left the scene.

Rosa had so hoped Cameron would be the boy to make Diego happy. She knew he had sex, sometimes with men he barely knew. While she had come to terms with his sexuality, a very difficult challenge involving many private conversations with her priest, she worried endlessly about diseases he might contract due to his casual activity. When Cameron had come to the house, he seemed like the answer to all her nightly prayers. Diego obviously cared for him, everyone in the family loved him. Manny, who never talked to anyone, chattered happily away while sitting on Cameron's lap. Even Jesus, her beloved husband, had told her one night that Cameron was a good match for Diego, a shocking event because he never openly discussed his son's sexuality. He was perfect.

Unfortunately Diego insisted on breaking her heart once again. He'd finally blown up at her the other day, as she sang Cameron's many virtues.

"Mama! He is NOT my boyfriend. He will NEVER be my boyfriend. We are FRIENDS. He doesn't like me that way. He is with someone else."

"Then work harder! You are my son! Of course he will choose you! Look at you! So handsome! So responsible! You are the perfect boy! You need to convince him that only YOU can make him happy! I didn't raise you to be a quitter!"

Diego reached out and put his hand on his mom's shoulder. "Mom, please. Please stop. He doesn't like me. You're hurting me. Stop."

Rosa sputtered but stopped when she saw her macho boy crying. She grabbed him to her chest, and patted his head, murmuring soothing sounds. "Then he's an idiot. Stop crying, hijo." And held him until he did.

Now, on a sunny May afternoon, the party taking shape before her, she sighed again. It was a shame, for sure.

Christopher approached her cautiously, trailing clusters of red, white and green helium filled balloons.