Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day

Senior Year (almost two months after Ryan and Cameron take a break)

When Cameron woke up, he covered his face with his hands. The very last thing he wanted to think about was Valentine's Day. He rolled back up in his blankets, and decided today was definitely a mental health day. No school. Nothing. Just sleeping in bed. And pretending boys didn't exist. Especially one boy. The boy he dreamed about every single night. The boy he wished he could spend today with. The boy he wanted to...

Fuck. Nope. Nope. Fuck that.

Cameron gritted his teeth, and tried desperately to think of anything but a certain tall, curly brown haired, beautiful, maddening, sexy, stupid jerk buttface asshole.

Ok, that was totally uncalled for, he thought to himself. Not a buttface. Just confused. And finding himself. But still...

Kind of a stupid fuckface.

Because while Ryan was off searching for who he was, Cameron was left alone. To wait. And hope. And cry and not sleep and ...

Nope! Nope! Fuck it.

Maybe the best thing to do would be to go to school after all. Laying in bed, all he would do is wallow in misery and think of Ryan all day long. Which was basically the same thing.

He got dressed. Because he had to.

Ate breakfast. Because he had to.

"Honey, I hope you have a good day at school," Mike hugged him goodbye and gave him an optimistic, you-got-this kind of smile.

Cameron smiled and said goodbye in a cheerful voice.  Prepared to spend this day, celebrating love, alone.  

Because he had to.

But ...

Just as he stepped out of the door, Coach right behind, keys in hand, juggling his lunch and kissing Mike goodbye, Cameron stopped. Confused.

On the doorstep was a huge heart shaped Fed Ex package. He almost stepped on it.

"What's this?" Cameron asked, blinking.

Mike snorted. "Well, why don't you pick it up and see who it's for?" Standing back with John's arm around his waist, the older man watched as Cameron did just that. Picked it up, awkwardly big in his arms, and stepped back into the house, bringing it to rest on the coffee table. The two older men followed, bemusedly.

"It's addressed to me," Cameron said under his breath.

"Who's it from?" Coach asked with some excitement.

Cameron rolled his eyes. He knew they must have sent it to him, to help him feel special on this crappy crappy day.

"I wonder," he sighed, trying to keep his voice free of bitter sarcasm.

Mike shook his head. "Cameron, it's not from us."

"Ok," Cameron said. He'd play along.

He opened the white packing bag, and out slipped a red velvet heart shaped box. And when he opened that, he saw a variety of chocolates nestled in their little compartments. An accompanying slip explained each flavor and they were far from normal milk, dark and hazelnut. Instead it was honey buttercream, lavender kiss, and cayenne chai. Cameron took one and bit it, and closed his eyes at the absolutely amazing decadence across his tongue.

A personalized note: Because you deserve this. Because I wish I could give it to you in person. Because you once told me that everyone should have a little chocolate to sneak when they're having a hard day. Because I'm thinking of you.