Petting Zoo

"Yes, he is quite handsome, isn't he?" Eden said to a funny looking creature, a donkey, Eden had called it Gabriel recalled. Gabriel was still getting used to the fact that Eden could talk to animals, it was rather odd, yet fascinating. He had seen both her and Aziraphale make homemade treats for the animals that lived nearby in South Downs. And during Eden's recovery, when she was strong enough to go outside, he often found her talking with a few furry and feathered visitors from time to time.

Her parents meanwhile, were totally un-phased by it.

The donkey made a very strange noise that made Gabriel cringe. Did Christ really ride one of those things?

Eden laughed, "Now, Betsy, there will be none of that! I saw him first!" Eden shot Gabriel a mischievous glance as she fed the donkey a carrot stick.

Gabriel was suddenly knocked on over and landed on his rump by a very grumpy looking cloud with legs.

"Aw, what a handsome ram!" Eden cooed as she helped Gabriel to his feet.

"Here love, I got three carrot sticks just for you." Eden said as she walked to the very pissed off looking creature.

"Eden! Don't get any closer, you could get hurt!" Gabriel demanded but Eden didn't listen. The Archangel turned to Aziraphale and Crowley, who were taking pictures with their cell phones.

"Crowley, Aziraphale! Do you not see this?!"

"She's got this under control dear." Aziraphale said as he snapped several pictures as Eden got closer to the ram.

Crowley shrugged, "The kid could soothe a rabid lion....that's my girl." A smile full of pride crossed the demon's face.

Gabriel turned back to Eden and was going to get Eden out of the ram's range, but the ram was no longer acting aggressive. Now it was standing right next to her, as if making it clear that she was his new companion.

"There now, poor baby, there's so many animals here that you feel like you're not getting that much attention. But that's an easy fix. Here, have another carrot stick."

Eden's gaze met his, "Gabriel, don't just stand there, come meet my new friend, Nigel. Don't be fooled by that grumpy face, he's actually quite a gentleman."

Eden stayed by Nigel's side the entire time, the rest of the animals, goats, donkeys, Shetland ponies, potbellied pigs and piglets came to her instead for treats and to talk with her. And Gabriel quite enjoyed petting the animals, and was particularly glad that he was wearing old worn out clothes, just as Aziraphale advised. The Archangel had never been this dirty in his entire existence.......