The Scales of Justice

══════════════════

══════════════════

It took you a while to get around the locking mechanism of the door, but once you did, you stepped into the dimly lit car of the train and warily peered around. When it became obvious that the perimeter was clear of any sign of Kid, you advanced to the workshop -- mapping out the location of the bathroom in your head. As soon as you reached for the sliding door separating the two rooms, however, you heard a rumbling baritone on the other end -- Kid's voice.

You froze in shock and limped to the opposite end of the panel separating the two of you; your hand going up to muffle your mouth as you listened in on his conversation. Ear pressed to the thin wood, you heard, "Kid, you're one crazy bastard."

You recognized the voice as Killer's.

In a frenzy, you glanced down at your battered appearance, suddenly self-conscious of it, and wiped the blood dribbling from your nose before you tied up the bloodied ends of your shirt to keep it from the alpha's view if ever he ran into you. You doubted it would help, but at least it would reduce the crime scene from 'murdered' to 'assaulted' -- not that, that was any better though. Although precautionary steps needed to be taken in order to pass the farce, you knew Kid wasn't dumb enough to fall into it without a little acting, or, in his words, a little 'convincing'.

Granted, by bunching up your shirt to conceal the spout of blood on your hip, you were showing an ample amount of thigh, no doubt a sight Kid would take advantage of. But when push came to shove, you didn't care if he ogled you a little, just as long as you could convince him long enough to get to the bathroom.

You concealed the rest of the bruises on your face by curtaining it with your unkempt hair before you leaned back in to eavesdrop.

"Why have you kept her alive, Kid? And why the hell did you have to go and bond with her? For fuck's sake..."

There was a moment of tense silence where all you heard was the shuffling of clothes. Someone sat down on the couch with a heavy thud -- Kid. While another stood by the edge -- Killer.

"Fascination," Kid said nonchalantly, and you could practically see him shrugging with indifference.

"Fascination gets you killed. We don't have enough energy to expend on your 'fascination'. This world just won't allow it."

You heard someone slam their fist on the wooden panel right opposite of you, and you jolted up with a shock, your hand slapping over your mouth to muffle the startled yelp.

"Are you questioning my decisions, Killer?" Kid's tone was dangerous, but it seemed that Killer was unaffected by it, because all he did was push out an exasperated sigh before he continued again, "No, but she's a loose cannon, and if you had asked me to kill her before, I would have. But now... you'll have to ask someone else."