Chapter 1 - Monsters Keep Me Company

In the Northern regions of Lapland, the dark night sky was overcast. The trees were still and covered with snow and the full moon was slightly visible through the clouds. The winter night was peaceful and deep in the forest on a cliff overlooking a frozen lake; there was a sleigh parked on the forest's edge. Three reindeer were attached to it, their eyes glowed as if they were brainwashed like zombies as they grazed at the ground trying to find the dead grass beneath the snow. A Lapland owl with a round gray head sat on the tree branch above the sleigh and was turning to focus at the figure overlooking the horizon and the full moon above.

He was tall and monstrous looking: his hair was long and straight and his beard went down to the base of his neck, he wore a devilish outfit that was gray with a black cape, and fingerless leather gloves with silver spikes. He gazed at the moon with his bright red eyes and the moonlight shone on his face that looked like makeup; he had a few horns on his head, sharp fangs and long razor sharp nails. He was a Monsterman, and the Lord of Lapland. Mr. Lordi was his name; no one knew why that was his name but it was simply his name that he was given. All those centuries he spent alone would come to an end soon.

Mr. Lordi gazed at the moon one last time before turning away from its gaze back at him. He could remember his past like it was only yesterday, when the demons invaded Lapland and raped the goblins when he was just a child, and a bastard son of both: The war was short as he watched one kill here and another kill there. He felt his monstrous heart beat with rage and supernatural power grew inside him until he was strong enough to defeat them both. Declaring himself the Lord of Lapland after this event he fled deep into the most Northern region alone and in fear of what he could do next for he was so young, and too young to understand why this was happening to him.

But then the day came when he was found by his animal friends the owl and the three reindeer protected him until he was old enough. Mr. Lordi sighed after thinking of his past, now that he was grown up he still felt like he needed something in this world. Something that would make him matter again. He walked up to the edge of the forest where the Lapland owl hooted at his presence and gazed at him.

"I need something here; I do not know what it is. Now that I am grown up I feel as if there is something still missing," he said.

The owl tilted its head and flew to another nearby tree. Mr. Lordi then walked over to the three reindeer hitched up to his sleigh. He petted the head of the reindeer at the front.

"You my friend have been good to me along with the others. I wish I could see what my purpose is. When I gained my powers at such an early age of my life I never understood why this is meant to be. Am I a monster or am I a hero for putting down my enemies back there? I sometimes suspect that the fighting is not over yet, and I need to be ready." Mr. Lordi said.

The moon remained still that night and Mr. Lordi paced back and forth. He admitted that it had been a rough life growing like this. I need allies; I need some who can follow me. I need love, someone who can accept me for who I am and understand why I am like this, he thought. But in inside he felt that love was something no one would give to him. He felt too cold and heartless to even imagine giving warmth to anyone who wanted to be with him. He sat down in his sleigh and gazed at the view of the moon again that was still looking back at him with its face like it was smiling at him. He felt safe and protected until what was protecting him was to be set free. The Lapland owl landed on the top of the sleigh and ruffled its feathers. Mr. Lordi gently stroked the side of its head and managed to smile a little.

"I fear the time is coming. I know this war may come back someday. I need to gather my allies, for I cannot face this returning threat alone. I also need someone special who understands me; who will accept me for who I am. My one true love, I must find her. She must be beautiful, kind, and unique. No matter how long it takes I will find her. There was a prophecy that only love and the power it possesses will bring peace," Mr. Lordi said as he gazed upward at the moon once again and then he fell asleep.

Soon morning came and Mr. Lordi woke up to gaze at the overcast sky. Snowflakes fell down and one of them landed on his nose, he felt it melt on his face and then he sat up. The owl was ruffling its feathers and taking a quick nap. Another day alone, another day where I am just doing nothing until I decide it is time, he thought as he looked at the sky. I need to get out of here. Then he took hold of the reins and swung them. The three reindeer woke up and started running and pulled the sleigh turning it around going deep into the forest. Mr. Lordi drove down the path with determination. He did not know where he was planning to go but wherever it was he hoped it would be a better place for him. The Lapland owl flew behind him and landed on the back of the sleigh.

About time you got here. Mr. Lordi wanted to say but he remained silent. The road through the forest was long and there was not much excitement to be seen. Then he finally thought of something to where he should be going. He caught glimpse of a large troll digging through the snow eating meat. He pulled back on the reins and the sleigh grounded to a halt. He emerged and watched as the beast took out a piece of meat and crunched on it hard with its sharp fangs like it had not eaten anything in days.

Mr. Lordi observed carefully and remembered that he was a descendant of the 900's centuries with trolls that lived with the goblins before the first stage of the Trans-Dimensional War. Something began to motivate Mr. Lordi to attack the creature even though it did not sense his presence. He did not want to have anything to do with any of the goblins and trolls since he fled and found out his power. I must give it a fair fight, he told himself and then he extended out his left arm as if reaching towards the troll and the meat in the troll's hands was reduced to a pile of ash.

The beast roared in anger of losing its breakfast and rose to its feet and saw Mr. Lordi. Mr. Lordi drew out a battleaxe with two blades and faced the creature. "Come and get me you fiend!" He growled.

Then the troll charged forward and lunged at him with its claws but Mr. Lordi was too quick. He sprung up into a nearby tree and gathered his inner strength. The troll looked up at him as he allowed this strength to build up inside him until he let it out causing a huge shockwave. The incredible force sent the beast flying into a large boulder nearby and it broke into pieces upon impact.

Mr. Lordi jumped down from the tree and charged towards the monster as it was vulnerable and drove his axe deep into its flesh. The troll roared as purple blood spurted out of its chest and belly, a grievous wound. To finish it off, Mr. Lordi summoned his supernatural strength and darkness surrounded him. The troll's body began to turn black like the night sky. Mr. Lordi let out his own fierce roar of anger as two devilish wings expanded on his back. He was invincible.

Then in a matter of seconds the bleeding troll now covered in darkness; melted into dust. Mr. Lordi smiled an evil smile and picked up his axe from the pile of ashes and walked off. That was satisfying, he thought as he walked back to his sleigh and looked at his old friends the owl and the three reindeer.

"Enemies like that will return someday and I need to be ready. I now know what my purpose is; I must gather my allies first in hopes to be ready for the war when it returns, even if it means traveling to other dimensions and through time. Maybe I will even find love one day but first I need allies on my side," Mr. Lordi said. Then he sat in his sleigh again and drove off deeper into the forest.