I Leave the Orphanage

"So, Lily. Do you want to grab dinner with us at a restaurant?" Elizabeth picked up one of my bags and brought it to the car. The other two got in the driver's seat and shotgun, which left Elizabeth and me in the back. "Or if you're tired, we can head back to our apartment and cook up something." She elbowed me a little, and I smiled.

"Maybe we can go to the apartment today. I guess tomorrow we can go out if you want." I buckled my seatbelt in and we started driving off. My mixed feelings were only getting stronger, especially when I saw the orphanage disappear as we turned left.

"Oh, we actually have some work stuff tomorrow, so we won't be back to the apartment until night. Lizzie is home though, right?" Mary-Kate or Ashley said.

Elizabeth nodded. "I'm free tomorrow, and so are you! We can do whatever you want tomorrow. Your choice."

"Thanks," I said. "If it's not too expensive, can we go sightseeing? I know I live so close to everything, but she never took us to see Times Square or anything."

Either Mary-Kate or Ashley chuckled. "That's no problem. I'll give you some money for the day, and you can Lizzie can take a cab somewhere.""

I turned to my right. "Is it okay if I call you that too?"

Lizzie nodded. "You're family now. I don't think anyone in our family actually calls me Elizabeth, unless they're murderously mad at me."

I forced a laugh out of me.

We pulled into the parking garage, which even looked fancy. The doors were shiny, and the garage was so open. I was glad I was adopted by the wealthy.

Uh, not to mention the bougie-ass looking elevator. Not once in my life had I been in such a clean elevator. The buttons??? Black, smooth, and clean. Everything was clean. Nothing in New York is clean!

We got to the twenty-first floor, and the elevator door opened. Wow, that apartment was nice. I could see the living room and the kitchen. The orphanage was bigger than the apartment, but everything was so much prettier and comfier than what we had back at the troll's house.

I was the first to walk out of the elevator, and I walked to the balcony. I always found balconies so interesting, but also a little scary. I wasn't very adventurous, - yes, I consider balconies an adventure, - but the view was really pretty.

"Wow, you guys have a really nice home." I turned back around to see the three of them putting my things down near the chair in the family room.

"No, Lily. This is your place, too," said either Ashley or Mary-Kate. "Get comfortable! Help yourself to the fridge, the TV, everything. It's yours."

For dinner, we had chicken and rice with salad. Salad usually makes me throw up vigorously, but the dressing was palatable, so I was grateful.

After dinner, we all sit down, but Mary-Kate and Ashley head to bed early because they have to get up for a photoshoot tomorrow.

"We wish we could get to know you more tonight, but we have to get up at four tomorrow. Let's look forward to Sunday." It was Friday night.

Lizzie and I kept talking for a bit, but we were actually getting a little tired as well. I learned that as well as acting, she had taken ballet lessons as a kid. I had always wanted to take ballet. They made it seem so smooth and entertaining, even though I'm pretty sure it's really hard. Of course, we weren't allowed to leave the orphanage, so the closest I got to a dance lesson was one time when Emma accidentally turned the station to "Dirty Dancing" when trying to get to the Disney Channel.

"Hey, it's actually a little late. I usually have to go to bed at 7:30, so midnight is a little past my bedtime haha..." I laughed, but stopped out of muddy regret.

She brought me to my new room, which was pretty big, by the way. I mean it looked as bland as raw potato, but I thought it was enjoyably sterile.

"Oh, sorry. We didn't decorate your room yet. We thought it would be better if we let you pick out your things the way you like it." That was another hard uwu moment. It made me so oober-doober-happy that she cared so much about what I wanted. I genuinely was not used to that treatment.

"Oh!" She broke from our embrace. "I forgot!"

I sat on the bed as I watched her pull a jacket from a tote bag on the floor.

"This is for you!" She handed me the jacket. "I bought this at Barneys earlier... though I didn't know you were actually there with me." It was a typical denim jacket, but it felt really special to me, especially because I literally owned one jacket at the moment.

"Thank you so much!!" I put it on, and it felt so right.

I had to get ready for bed because I'm not a monster?? I have to stay in sanitary conditions??

Lizzie tucked me into bed (yeah I'm 13. wachu gonna do about it??) and I thanked her again for everything.

When the door closed, I started weeping. I don't know, it all just hit me at that moment. I was no longer an orphan, I would never see my friends again, I was now living with ACTRESSES. FAMOUS PEOPLE. That was crazier than my wildest dreams, and believe me, I've had some pretty graphic dreams.

But most of all, I was really thankful. I was so glad to be living in a better place. I believed I would have a healthy relationship with my new moms(?) and a better education hopefully. I was always homeschooled, but we never really did anything, so like I can barely read lol.

I went to bed happy.

-----

:)):))