Chapter 7

He was nowhere to be seen. I've been looking for him for a while now, but I have no idea where he's hiding. I take a glass of champagne from one of the waiters and lean against one of the walls, it's impossible. I sigh, every time I try to look for father, I'm swarmed by curious ladies and gentlemen who are nearly impossible to escape.

"enjoying the ball?" I shiver, this voice....

I turn around to meet gazing blue eyes and golden hair which glitters under the light.

"your highness" I place my glass down and curtsy. He leans against the wall next to me.

"hmmm, I wouldn't say I enjoy it that much. It's tiresome but perhaps I'll get used to it over time" I shrug and sink into the wall more. He raises an eyebrow.

"I see you are willing to talk to me more now" he chuckles. He has an arrogant air to him but at least he's honest.

"and you, your highness? Have you enjoyed this ball" I inquire.

"well, I've been going to these social events for years and still don't particularly enjoy it. but It's my duty, so there's no escape." Right, I feel lucky to have lived such a simple life beforehand. Free of the requirements high society requires. People, like Prince Izana, have only lived here in this fake world of wealth and power.

"Perhaps I'm stepping out of place, but if you weren't a prince or crown prince at least, what would you do?" his eye widened and he turned his head to slightly facing me. He softly smiled.

"ignore the issue of money or class or any of that stuff. Just what you would want to do." I look into his eyes. Maybe I'm being too casual, but I always like to ask people this question, it lets me see their true self.

"If I weren't a crown prince...." He pondered for a while. His eyes sparkled under the dim lights.

"well, that's a secret for now...perhaps I'll tell you when I know you more." I blushed slightly at his words. "what about you? If you weren't the daughter of the duke, what would you be?"

"well, your highness I'll have to tell you another time as well" I smiled. Cecelia's words tingled at the back of my mind, we were alone so surely no one knew we were talking but perhaps that's worse, if someone did see us, I could become a target. I looked over to the curtain where I had left Cecelia, it was still closed, she must still be out there.

Prince Izana and I talked for a while longer until a black figure caught my attention. A man, dressed in servant's wear approached the curtain where I had left Cecelia, I froze. Dripping my dress and I watched as he slipped onto the balcony.

"your highness...." Prince Izana looked at me perplexed.

"may you join me for a moment? I would like to check on my friend whom I left alone" I smile, my hands slightly shaking. I have a bad feeling about this, no one should enter a closed curtain but this servant did, and Cecelia is alone...

"very well, where are we going." He mutters, watching my nervous expression. I take his hand and walk quickly to the balcony.

"Hey, we can't go in there, the curt-"

I open the curtain to find what I had dreaded.

Glass, shattered, and a faint trail of blood.

a bit more consistent  😅. I hope you guys enjoyed it, we're about to get into the juicy stuff now.