Chapter 9

The faint shutter of opening windows is the first thing I remember. A crisp, calming breeze flowed gently across my face, yet warmth seeped into the room at the blessing of the risen sun. For a moment all felt peaceful and reminiscent as though I was still living far away from this life of nobility.

But the stabbing pain in my side crushed that calm, sweet moment. Last night's occurrences cascaded back into my mind; ruthlessly painful they were, I tore the linen sheets from my now sweat-drenched body.

"Anna!..." the tired, panicked voice croaked from the hallway.

"Papa..." Tears swell in my eyes as I look upon his sleepless, aged face.

"Silly girl" he thumps tiresomely on the seat placed next to my bed, holding his temples.

"I know...I'm sorry for making you worry..." my eyes drift to the window which held a morning so merry, so peaceful as leaves of golden and red hues fall delicately from a branch now stripped naked. How long had I been out for? Perhaps a week, maybe two. I groaned at the headache I now acquired, my body felt limb and stiff, I would believe them if they told me I was out for a year with the way I currently felt.

"you've been asleep for six days, had a fever for two, its lucky you didn't lose two much blood" his eyes watched me carefully, considerately as I shifted uncomfortably around the bed. I felt the heavily patched-up wound along my side.

"she's...defiantly..."

"Yes, and they haven't been able to catch the culprit yet either" he sighs, placing a hand on top of my head, scruffing it even more than it already was.

"How about you go for a light walk in the garden? The weather is nice today, not too cold. It would do you some good getting some sun and to use your legs again" I nod slightly, still holding my wound. He sighs again, louder this time as though he's doing it on purpose.

"I'll get the servants to set up some sweats in the pavilion, come on" he slowly rises and extends his hand. I grip it tightly as he slowly pulls me up onto my feet. My legs felt weak, and my head throbbed from suddenly standing up. Elise, who had been there for how long, I had no clue, gripped my right arm as my father left the room, smiley before closing the door.

"Are you able to sit down young miss?" I nodded and cringed slightly at how considerate her tone was. I look skinnier, I noticed how sharp my collar bone had become. Elise gently brushed my hair, tying it back with a cobalt blue ribbon. Lightly, she dusts my face with powder and applies a sliver of lipstick. Holding my arm again, we rise and walk towards the garden. Father wasn't lying when he said it was a nice day, the breeze was icy, yet the warmth of the sun kept the coldness away. I could bath in this warmth for hours, listening to the birds sing in harmonic rhythms.

"I'm glad to see you awake, Lady Anastasia" the sharp voice snapped me back to reality. His eyes holding me hostage, till his gaze shifted to my side.

"Thank you, your highness"