Chapter 8

"What the" his highness looked around at the subtle remnants of a crime scene.

"Your highness, please fetch the guards. Lady Cecelia is in trouble, I saw a man enter here earlier, so they must've gone far." I go down the stairway and take off my heels.

"Wait one moment, you can't go down there, I'll go get the guards.... Lady De Moree!" I was already at the bottom of the staircase following what seemed to be blood drops. It was loud. Too loud. Even if she screamed for help no one would have been able to hear her from inside the ballroom. I don't know whether his highness is following me or not. I'll be ok.

"you wench..." I paused as the cold voice made my knees weak. It was him, and Cecelia. My eyes floated to her motionless body, clumped upon the cold cobble floor, her dress sprawled out like a withering flower's petals. The man's eyes frantically looked up when he noticed my presence.

"Cecelia!' I shouted at her, nothing responded. The air felt cold, and I was left alone facing this man, a murder. The knife he bourn at his side was laced with blood. I clasped at my skirt. I have nothing to defend myself with and I can't outrun him, not in this dress.

"Hmm...you shouldn't have come here" he smirked. "But thank you, you've made my job easy" He smiled coldly.

"Anna..." Cecelia mumbled

"Ah!" my eyes flicker between Cecelia and the man between us. His attention wasn't on me, this is my chance.

I run towards the man and push him with all my might, making him topple.

"Cecelia, come on, you have to stand." I pull at her arm, she looks up at me with tired, lifeless eyes.

"Lady....Anasta-stasia...stop...I can't stand...you can't carry me fast enough"

I go to lift her, but I was slow, too slow. The figure now loomed behind me, I could only turn in time to face the cold, sharpness of the dagger that pierced my abdomen.

Shit.

I kicked at his knees making him stumble, but it wasn't enough. Cecelia. I look over to her, her pale, lifeless face not moving an inch. No, God no. I grasp my stab wound, it's not pretty, but I won't die. Not from this.

Not from this....

"Ah...argh" no matter how hard I try to stop it, it just won't stop bleeding. I- I can't see clearly. No- no, don't panic Anastasia, you can't freak out here, you can't lose your life yet, it's only just begun.

"Lady Anastasia!" a faint but strong voice rings from behind me, the sound of running feet grows closer.

"For fucks sake" the man rises from the ground again. The footsteps were pounding in my ears, I squeeze Cecelia's arm. It's cold, so cold. I could only be wishful, but it was too late for her.

Will I die here too? Was my effort all in vain...I couldn't even save her...

"Lady Anastasia!" 

Sorry guys! this chapter took a while :')

hope you enjoy it! <3