How To Save A Life

--------------------༆Flashback༆-------------------
"Best wife ever" Derek kissed his wife.
"I just wish... I don't know, you could stay or I could come with you or something."
"I'll be back soon, you know that."
"I know" she sighed "I know. I just got you back and now you're going again and I just have to stay here."
"You're right. You do. You have to stay here." she nodded.
"Stay here. Don't move. Wait for me." he smiled dreamily and kissed his wife one more time. "I'll be back before you know it" he said as he turned around and walked out of the house.
"Okay" she followed him with her eyes as he walked away.

***************************************

Ferry boats always reminded him of her. The blue ocean and the blue sky always reminded him of her beautiful blue-green eyes. And now when he was just taking a moment for himself and enjoying the ferry boat ride, everything around him reminded of her. So he just took his phone and dialed her number. No one answered. 'She's maybe on her way to work' he thought to himself and decided to leave a voicemail.

"Hey, it's me. I'm on a ferry. I just wanted to say that, Uhm... God, I wish you could see this. The weather is classic Seattle, the water's so blue. It may be the most perfect ferry boat ride I've ever had in my life. We're gonna do this a lot more when I get home, by the way, you, me, and the family. We're just gonna take a day and... Ride a ferry boat, all day if we want. I love you, Meredith. I know I just left and I'm not even at the airport yet. I just wanted to say, I love you. I love our family. And we're gonna keep doing this. I'll see you when I get home. Love you." He smiled at the thought of her. He loved her more than anything in the world and he was planning on doing that for the rest of his life.

***************************************

"Every kiss before the right kiss doesn't count anyway. I've kissed a lot of women. The first time I kissed my wife... Well, I mean she wasn't my wife then. she was just this girl in a bar. And when we kissed, it was like, I got to tell you, it was like I never kissed any other woman before. It was like the first kiss, the right kiss."

***************************************

"I'll visit you first thing in the morning at the hospital, okay? "
"Thank you" the girl whispered.
"Thank you" the woman repeated.
He nodded his head, waited for the ambulance to go, and got back in his car. He started the car but stopped it as he heard his phone calling. He could hear the voice but he couldn't find it. That's when another noise, only much louder, came closer and closer. You could read the shock and the fear on his face after he saw what the noise was coming from. It was a semi. And then there was a crash.

***************************************

"He's not seriously hurt, just a few little injuries. He's going to be fine."
"He better be or the president will kill all of us."
"Don't worry. I made sure not to hit him too hard."
"I think he's waking up. Dr. Shepherd? Dr. Shepherd, do you hear me?"

Derek opened his eyes and looked around. He knew he's never been to this place before but he had suspicious why was he here. And if his suspicions were true, it meant it was the last time he's ever seen his family. Thought of that woke up anger in him, but he managed to calm down. He had to control his emotions if he wanted to go back home safely.

"What happened? Where am I? What am I doing here?" he asked as calmly as possible.
"You're here by president's command." said an unfamiliar voice "You've been in a car crash. You got minor injuries. We already took care of them."
"Hey, we don't have time to be nice. Tell him the truth already." another unfamiliar voice started talking "forget it, I'll do it."
"Can somebody tell me what is going on?" Derek was halfway crying. His suspicions were coming true.

"Dr. Shepherd. From now on you're president's property. You're going to live by his rules. You're going to obey all of His commands."
"I'm not understanding" his voice was shaking. He understood what he was hearing perfectly. Presidents practically kidnapped him.
"You're going to work for the president at the job you recently rejected. A car crash was arranged. We're now taking you to the hospital. You'll have to play dying man. That's funny." he started uncontrollably laughing. "you'll have to play the dead man."
"Stop, that's not funny" the first man said. Looked like he had more humanity left than the other one. "We're giving your family a chance to say goodbye to you. But if you do something, even a little thing for them to know that you're alive we'll have to kill you and all of them too.

"You can't lie to doctors. They'll know I'm alive."
"Of course, they will" said the second man after finally finishing his laughing session. "that's why we paid them. Money is everything, but how would you surgeons know that? All you care about is stupid knives and masks... And putting your hands inside of people's bodies.

"Cormac" shouted the first man "prep him to go to the hospital."

Derek was going crazy. Looked like he had no choice. He had to let them fake his death. Otherwise, they would kill the people that mattered the most in the world, he knew they would.

***************************************

"Derek," a tear rolled down her eyes.

He was going crazy that he had to lay there and do nothing when his wife, the love of his life was falling apart. He couldn't even tell him that everything would be alright, he couldn't pull her little body into his embrace and comfort her. It was probably the last time he was seeing her, and he couldn't even see her face.

"Derek... It's okay. You go. We'll be fine." she said and everything went silent. He knew she was breaking down. He knew what damage he was doing to her but he had no choice. He had to protect her and the kids at all costs, even if that meant giving his life away. He was ready to do anything for them.

"Are you ready?" he heard the nurse asking her.
"No..." she cried in a whisper "but go ahead."

After that, she stood there for minutes, maybe hours. For Derek, it felt like centuries. He didn't know how long he could play dead, but he wanted her to stay. Just hearing her breathe was enough. Then he heard her talking to the doctors and then there was silence. Everyone was gone. It was over. Now he was really a dead man. No one would ever know what happened that day. Everyone would think he died and they would grieve. They would grieve, but eventually, everyone would move on, probably even Meredith. But not him. He has to live with the ugly truth. He has to live like a shadow. He has to live a dead life.

---------------༆End of Flashback༆-------------

Author's note:
Sorry. It took so long to update. I had trouble finding a way to write this🦋
Thank you DempeoLOVER27  for giving me this Incredible idea❤️
Hope y'all enjoy🦋