Invisible String

"Mer, you look so beautiful" Amelia didn't even try to hide her excitement as she walked into the room.
"Thanks" Meredith smiled at her, as Maggie helped her with her hair.
"Are you excited?" Maggie asked her, excitement evident in her voice.
"Not as excited as the two of you" Meredith teased them.
"Oh come on, it's not every day that you get to watch your big sister get married" Maggie teased back.
"Told ya, she's full of sunshine and marshmallows" Amelia looked at Meredith, who immediately got the reference and chuckled softly.
"What are you talking about?" Maggie asked confused, not being aware of the conversation her sisters had years ago.
"On her wedding day," Meredith started "she was literally freaking out, and she said that every time she tried to tell you that the world was on fire, you handed her a marshmallow to toast" Meredith laughed as she recalled a memory. Maggie rolled her eyes, smiling.

"Mer, we should head out, my mother is going crazy, she waited for this wedding for too long and now she thinks you're gonna run before she has a chance to see you and Derek get married" Amelia teased.
"You know that we're already married, right?"
"I do, but, you know, she's old-fashioned and believes that the only correct way to marry someone is to walk down the aisle and all that crap."
"I know," Meredith said, amused by her description of her mother.
"Okay, we're done here" Maggie announced.

Meredith stood up from the chair, standing in front of a mirror, checking herself out. She looked stunning. She didn't want to wear something too fancy, since they decided to only invite family and friends who they considered as family, so she decided on a simple white dress that suited her perfectly. Her hair was loose, her blonde locks curly. She had light make-up on, since she's never been big on make-up.

"Are you ready?" They heard Richard's voice from outside the bedroom. He was going to walk her down the aisle.
"I am" Meredith smiled at him.
Maggie and Amelia quickly made their way out of the room and joined everyone outside of the 'dream house', where the wedding was being held. Everyone looked at them with anticipation, especially Derek, who couldn't wait to see his wife in the white dress.
"She's ready, they'll be out soon" Amelia announced, amused by her brother's impatience.

A few moments later, they saw Zola and Ellis walking out, dressed in pink dresses, both looking beautiful, as they scattered rose petals around, soon followed by Meredith and Richard. Meredith made eye contact with Derek the moment she saw him, both their eyes glistening, radiating with happiness.

Richard kissed Meredith's cheek as they approached Derek and went back to find his seat. Derek took Meredith's hand as they stood in front of each other, both beaming with joy.

They both waited for Bailey to start her speech, who they asked to officiate their wedding. Who better could've they asked? She was the one who caught them first, the one who put them through hell for that, the one who saves their lives various times, the one who they named their son after. She was there for them through thick and thin and it was only fair for her to be the one officiating their wedding.

"I've had the honor to witness what these two have from the very first day, I've watched their love through laughs and cries, through the pain and the joy, and I believe that I have every right to say, I have never in my life seen two people love each other the way this two do, understand one another the way they do, and I believe there is no one else, who deserves the happiness the way this two do, because they've been through unimaginable, and they've come back stronger, they've found each other over and over again through the darkest of times, and now, they're standing right here in front of us, rekindling their love that has been lost but found again. And I, for one, feel honored to have witnessed all of it, and to witness what the future brings to them." Miranda had tears in her eyes as she finished her speech. Meredith and Derek watched her in awe, thankful for her words and for all that's she's done for them throughout the years.
"Okay, now, the two of you can read your vows," Bailey said, drying her tears.

Meredith and Derek had decided to read their post-it vows in private, when it'd be just the two of them, and now they were going to read their 'real' vows, 'old-fashioned' as Amelia called them.

"Derek," Meredith started, "the day I met you, was the day my life changed forever, for good. I didn't know it back then. And if anyone ever told me that this was the way my life would go, I'd probably laugh at that, but you showed me something that I couldn't see, you opened my eyes and made me believe in love, you painted me golden. And now I know, and I've known for a long time, that I have found my soulmate, someone who'd share my dreams and fears, someone who'd draw stars around my scars, who'd hold me close even when I was too stubborn to let them, who'd come back to me over and over again. And thinking about it now, isn't it just so pretty to think that all along there's been some invisible string tying you to me? I love you, Derek, and I will love you for the rest of my life. So today, I take you to be my lover for life, and I swear to be true to you. And now one single thread of gold ties me to you."

"Meredith, from the day I met you, I knew I had found someone special, someone, who'd save me from drowning, who'd hold my hand in my darkest times and tell me it was okay to not be strong, who'd help me move forward. From that day I have loved you and I've fallen in love with you more and more every single day. Through our victories and our mistakes, through the pain and the joy, I have learned that there is no one else in this world, that'd I'd want to spend my lifetime with, but you, because you make me the happiest, and you love me the way no one ever has, and I promise you that even when we're 110, I'll still look at you like the stars that shine in the sky. I can hear it in the silence, I can feel it on the way home, I can see it with the lights out, I am in love with you, and I forever will be, till the end of times."

Them both and everyone else listening had tears in their eyes. Everyone knew, even the ones that once doubted their love, that the two of them had found their lifelong soulmates.

For Meredith and Derek, that day was different, more meaningful than any other day has been. It was their promise to each other for the new beginning, the one that would last for a lifetime. That day was a promise to love each other even when they hated each other, to not run, to take care of each other when old, senile and smelly, to remind each other of their love when they couldn't remember. That day was overcoming all the pain from the past and moving forward to the brighter future, the one they'd spend together with each other and their loved ones, the one they'd never mess up, the one they'd cherish every moment of, because through all of the pain they've learned one thing, they knew now that they had each other, that they'd have each other till the end of times.

They danced the night away, embraced in each other's arms, swaying slowly on the rhythm, as a promise to never let go of each other.

And they never did.

----------------------༆the end༆---------------------

Thank you guys so much for reading! It has been a long journey and I loved every moment of it! I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did! Thanks for all the love and support! I love and appreciate all of you from the bottom of my heart (especially the one's that got all the song references) ❤️