Chapter 12: Not so Accidental Magic

The following day Hadrian was awake far before anyone else. He was first a bit confused about where he was, but then he remembered the last day. So he stood up and silently went around the screen to look for his father. Salazar laid in his bed and snored slightly, which made Hadrian chuckle silently.

He looked at the clock at the wall and frowned. It was half-past six in the morning. No wonder that not even the Mediwitch could be seen anywhere. Knowing that trying to get back to sleep would be a futile attempt, he went to his bed. He picked up his book, sat down at the windowsill and continued reading where he left the day before using the moonlight as a light source.

It was around eight when the Mediwitch showed up. Hadrian smiled at her and wanted to resume reading, but the Mediwitch went up to him.

"Good morning, since when are you awake?" she asked him.

"I woke up at around half past six," he made a grimace. "And since I couldn't sleep anymore, I read some."

The witch looked at him in thoughts.

"When I made my round this night, I happened to see you sleeping agitatedly. Did you have a nightmare?"

Now Hadrian flinched before looking down.

"I don't want to talk about it," he mumbled.

Yes, he had nightmares ever since Salazar got him out of Privet Drive. They mostly were about him having to return there or that he never got out of there. However, from time to time, he also dreamt about the worst things that had happened there.

"Okay, but you should consider talking to someone about it. That might help you."

Hadrian nodded before returning to his book to avoid any further conversation about that topic. He didn't want to think about his nightmares and even less talk about them, hoping that they stopped on their own.

About an hour later, Salazar woke up too. The Mediwitch was ordered to let him sleep because he had been very exhausted the evening before. Salazar came around the screen and looked amusedly at his son.

"Why do I even wonder seeing you reading?" he grinned.

"Morning, dad," Hadrian jumped up and hugged him.

"Good morning. How did you sleep?" his son sighed. "Nightmares again?"

Salazar stroked Hadrian's head. He knew about the nightmares because he woke up when his son started to scream one night. After a while, he put him back at ease without waking him up, but he was worried nevertheless.

"I assume that this is normal with all you've been through, but promise me that you tell me shouldn't they get better in a week, okay?"

Hadrian nodded slightly before he nuzzled his father even more.

The Mediwitch brought them both breakfast, and they were just finishing when Sylvia walked up to them.

"Good morning, you two. How have you slept?"

"Like a stone, the last days have been pretty exhausting," Salazar replied while Hadrian sheepishly looked at the floor.

Sylvia looked at him worriedly before she gave Salazar a questioning look. He frowned and nodded slightly, which let her sigh, but she didn't say anything.

She cast some diagnostic spells on Salazar and noted the results on a clipboard.

"Okay, you are released, Sal. But I advise that you don't do much magic in the next few days so that your magical core can regenerate completely. You can take the floo in my office. I assume we see each other this evening?"