Chapter 22: Time Flies By

For the next few days, Hadrian used every afternoon to write replies to everyone who sent him a present and added a letter or a tag with their name. It took him three days to write to them all, but in the end, he managed it, even adding a heartfelt apology that they had sent him presents before he never received them and that he didn't reply because of this, not because he was ungrateful. His father was surprised about how adamant his son was and wondered whether he did it on purpose, but probably it was merely the gratefulness of a child who never got to know kindness until lately.

The press also got wind of the entire thing, proclaiming in an extensive article how grateful Harry was that so many people cared about him. It also blew the whole thing out of proportion that someone obviously intercepted Harry's post previously and that whoever did it better should give him back what was his. Dumbledore quickly ensured that he never intercepted any letter to Harry though Salazar didn't believe one word. However, he had no proof against the man. Hence his hands were bound.

When Hadrian read the article, he snickered and told them that one of the presents had been from Rita Skeeter. Sirius only shook his head hearing that. The boy was related to Salazar in how natural it came to him to manipulate everyone around him, probably without noticing it himself.

To the goblins, he went personally to thank them. They were delighted that their gift was so well received and told him that should he ever need help, he shouldn't hesitate to ask.

Weeks went by. Slowly autumn crept up, colouring the world in its golden and red colours. It also grew colder with every day passing.

Sylvia didn't attempt to move back into her own house; after some time, she merely forgot about it, with how natural life in the Slytherin household went on. Since Salazar also didn't say anything about it, it was shoved into the back of her mind. When she remembered and mentioned it one morning in the middle of October, Hadrian suddenly went all tense and didn't want her to leave. He told her, asking her to stay, even going so far as to cling to her so that she wouldn't leave. Over the last few months, he grew quite attached to Sylvia, and she became some kind of mother to him. Sure, he knew she wasn't his real mother, but that didn't matter to him.

When Sylvia looked at Salazar, the man only shrugged, indicating that he didn't mind her living in his house. To Hadrian's delight, she agreed to stay if he wished so.

Nonetheless, when she and Salazar were alone later that day, Sylvia told him that she would gladly pay him for letting her stay, but he only smiled and said that her help with his son was more than enough payback. She wasn't entirely content with it but didn't push it any further because she knew it would be in vain. She also didn't sell her house, not knowing if she would return someday and her elf would care for it.

Salazar also started to teach Neville and his son how to harness their magical abilities. However, he quickly learned that by using his wand every day, he was out of training when it came to wandless magic as he was teaching the children. It was the same as it was with physical exercises. As long as you continue your practice, the needed muscles stay strong, and you have no problem using them. But as soon as you stop training for a more extended period, these muscles deteriorate, and you become more exhausted quicker when using them.

It was the same with Salazar's magic. Not properly using it for a long time resulted in him being weaker and having less stamina. Therefore, he was pretty happy training Hadrian and Neville because this would give him the training needed to become strong again. He also swore to himself never to slack again like this after the first lesson. Because he got to know just how much out of training he was. He was utterly exhausted in the evening.

All Hallows' Eve then, Salazar, Sirius, Sylvia, James and Hadrian visited a street carnival on a plaza near Knockturn Alley. At first, Sylvia had been reluctant to go knowing Knockturn alley's reputation and its surrounding, but Salazar only laughed. He had to admit that the "shadow side" of the magical neighbourhood had its dark and dingy places, but it was not any different to other parts like Diagon Alley.