Chapter 13: A Very Black Wednesday - Or How to Rip an Airtight Case Apart

"You perhaps right a trial wouldn't change anything at the moment. But there are several questions I like to have answered for my article. I quite thorough with my investigations, you know? Would it also be okay to use dictation quill to record the conversation? You see, it writes exactly what we say," Salazar told her while he took out one, activated it, and it wrote down what he just said.

"Sure," Bones was a bit confused but nodded.

It wasn't untypical for a journalist to use one because they could then fully concentrate on the questions they wanted to ask without ensuring that they got everything. So usually, Bones just accepted them as long as it wasn't a quick quote quill, which tends to write what they "think" was meant and not the truth.

However, from the letter, it looked like there was more to the Black case than she seemed to be able to see. Though now the man said that it might not be the case, she was confused and disappointed.

"First, I like to know which spell Black used to blow up street and kill Pettigrew."

Now Bones was even more confused and a bit surprised because that was a question she hadn't anticipated.

"Well, from what the scene looked like when the Aurors arrived, it must have been a pretty powerful Bombarda Maxima. Though I don't know why that would be of any relevance," she finally answered.

"Are you sure? Anyone check wand for it?"

"The wand? No, that was destroyed instantly by one of the Aurors at arrival on the crime scene. So it was a security measurement when it was clear that it was Black who did it," the confusion in her rose even more. What hinted the man in front of her at?

"Ah, pity! Now there is no being sure," Salazar shook his head in disappointment.

"As I said from what the scene looked like, it could hardly be anything else than Bombarda Maxima. So what is the point in all of this anyway?"

"Yes, yes, point in this. You know there is special research facility in Germany. One not only invents new spells and magical items for everyday use. Also, researches existing spells the Muggle way. Like for example, how hot burns Incendio spell. Or how much weight lifts Wingardium Leviosa at the maximum capacity the way Muggles research the world. Quite interesting results. Useful too."

Initially, Gellert Grindelwald founded this facility during his reign to research new ways of magic for his purpose. But when he fell and was imprisoned, Salazar bought it and took over out of boredom, curiosity and because he didn't know what to do with his money otherwise.

He later added next to the research division for new spells and magical objects, another division for looking into magic the mundane way. James had suggested that this might get fascinating results. This part mainly was lead and maintained by half-bloods and Muggle-born. It was surprising how many of them wanted to research the how and why behind the magic. Next to the thirst for knowledge, it was the ever-advancing Muggle technology that inspired him to do this. And it pays, not only for this case.

For example, right now, they were researching for some kind of holding stack for floo travel. So that one could first check who wants to get through and, in the end, let the person in without giving the password away should it be secured by one. It is also supposed to help when several people want to get to the same location, but only one chimney is available. So at the moment, one of the two attempts would be thrown back to its initial point. But, at the same time, the other one gets through. This is why the ministry had to maintain over a dozen chimneys to cover all the travel.

All of this was inspired by how Muggles managed phone calls.

"I cannot see what that has to do anything with the Black case."