Chapter 18: Ringing the Hell's Bells

"...Augusta Longbottom," he continued after a short pause.

Everyone could clearly see that Sirius was relieved, and Salazar was inclined to agree. But, unfortunately, while Sirius, with the proper guidance and time, could become a great Minister, he was much too unstable at the moment. Dumbledore, on the other hand, seemed to be completely unhappy with the result. But, fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on who you ask, he couldn't do anything against it.

"Are there any objections?" Dumbledore waited a few seconds. "Good. Then Ms Longbottom, please come to the centre and swear the oath."

She went into the middle, and after that, it took a few minutes in which Augusta gave her oath and was properly introduced as the Minister of Magic. Salazar mused over the "in all conscience" part of the oath.

How could someone send an innocent man in good conscience to Azkaban without the oath backfiring spectacularly? But then again, with the correct wording and the right circumstances, you could bypass every oath. Since Dumbledore initiated this entire thing, he didn't doubt that this was what happened.

When the entire ceremony was over, Augusta sat down on the chair meant for the Minister.

Salazar leaned back and faced Bones. "I think we should also give a small report on the Potter case as long as everyone is present, thus showing that we work on it as hard as we can."

Augusta, who heard that because she sat right next to them, nodded in approval.

"With that done, are there any more things to discuss today? Or information to share?" Dumbledore continued with the protocol.

Augusta rose. "I'd like to ask the DMLE to give a report about the progress in the Potter case. This should be of interest for all of us."

A murmuring rose within the ranks, which showed everything from pleasant surprise to approval. It seemed that only a very few anticipated that such a delicate topic would be brought before them even less from the new Minister herself. To those who voted for her, it showed that their choice was the right one. Even to those who didn't vote for her, it was a sign of strength. Quite a few hoped that with Ms Longbottom as Minister, a few things would change.

Bones nodded before she rose. "Our department is working with full commitment to solving this case. In the course of it, we learned that Harry Potter apparently resides in New York – America at the moment. We are in contact with the American Ministry to find out where exactly and hopefully to get a better grasp on John Smith, the person who adopted Mr Potter according to the papers. We're waiting for what information they are ready to share with us. Still, I think it will be everything we asked for since Ms Coulson, Head of the American Ministry, didn't indicate anything contrary to that assumption. We will receive that information this afternoon at the latest."

Salazar had a hard time not to laugh because of the sight Dumbledore gave right at that moment. Sure, the man hid his emotions very well, and anyone who didn't know where to look wouldn't be able to see it, but for Salazar, he was like an open book. Henrietta informed him this morning that Dumbledore tried to get information this night but ran against a wall of diplomacy and bureaucracy. He seemed to be pretty angry about how he was treated. To add insult to injury, getting to know now that the DMLE just asked politely and got everything they wanted didn't make it any better.

"On top of that, we are investigating how Mr Smith was actually able to adopt Mr Potter without raising any suspicions or alarms. But I would ask you not to come to our office and ask for detailed information about this case or to start a search on your own. This would only encumber us in our effort to find Mr Potter as quickly as possible. Should any important information reach us, we surely will inform you through the newspapers. Thank you!" she sat down again.