IV

Where is she? The clicks of her heels were the only thing audible in the barracks. It's been almost two hours. Where is she? Asami nibbled at her nails, brows furrowed in a dizzy confusion.

"Asami, you're doing it again."

She stopped. "Doing what?"

Jinora waved over to her posture. The Sato was hunched over with tight shoulders, pacing back and forth in front of Jinora and Opal. "You're worrying again."

"And you're not? She's been out for a while. What if something happened to her?" She knew deep down nothing could lay a finger on Korra, the Corporal simply wouldn't allow it. But there was a funny feeling bubbling up in her stomach, that something might just pop out of the blue. Jinora gave her a look which made Asami sigh. She stopped her pacing and slowly sat down next to them.

"Sometimes I think you forget who your girlfrined i-" Asami clasped a hand over Opal's mouth before she could say anything else.

"Opal! not so loud."

Opal frowned and gently removed the hand over her mouth. "Hold on, I thought you told everyone?"

Asami sighed and dropped her head in defeat. "We were going to..." she said. "But we never really got around to it."

Jinora let out a small chuckle. "I'm guessing Korra bailed."

"No." Asami muttered. "I did."

The two girls let out a gasp. "Why?"

"Have you noticed how different Korra's been acting lately?" Asami questioned. "I don't want to announce our relationship just yet, I'm not risking it since some people haven't exactly accepted the recent changes."

Opal shook her head whilst Jinora pondered for a moment. "I guess she's been a little off..."

Asami clasped the fabric of her dress in her lap. "Sometimes she stares into space, as if something is there but when I look there's nothing. She's not sleeping well either and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do to help." Asami explained and her throat begun to ache. "She excused herself from dinner today and said she needed air." She looked to the two women who were listening. "Do you think she's uncomfortable here? Maybe the formalities are getting to her, or maybe she doesn't feel comfortable around my parents ye-"

"Asami." Jinora took a hold of the woman firmly by the shoudlers. "Calm down."

Asami took a much needed breath in through the nose and out through the mouth. "Sorry."

"You of all people should know that Korra has had... a difficult experience. She just needs a bit of time to figure things out." Jinora said, giving the poor woman a little squeeze on the shoulders.

"I know but I feel... hopeless. no matter what I do, it doesn't seem to help her." Asami looked down into her lap and studied each and every crease in her dress.

"You help her plenty, trust me. you're what keeps her going."

Asami peered up. "Really?"

"Of course. Before you two even met, you were her number one priority. You still are now." Jinora chuckled whilst Opal smiled in agreement.

Asami opened her mouth to say something but was immediately cut off by the barrack doors opening. Her head turned so fast towards the noise that she feared of the whiplash. Her heart soared, lips curled up into a smile as she awaited for her Corporal to walk through those doors. But she was thoroughly disappointed. Mako, Bolin and two unfamiliar faces strolled into the room and made Asami's worry heighten. Come home Korra.