VII

"Keep your arm straight and towards the target." Mako explained, gently moving Shizuko's arm into the correct position. Her eyes shifted from the target for a moment to the left, landing on the woman that sat at the side with a flintlock in her own hand, waiting. Korra.

She had no idea why the Corporal didn't choose her to train, she thought they were getting along, getting comfortable with each other... like what new friends did. But obviously that wasn't a mutual feeling. Korra had chosen Morrisa over her and Morrisa didn't even speak!

"Shizuko, eyes forward." Mako demanded and the new rookie did as she was told.

Korra sat with the flintlock in her hand, studying how much it weighed in her palm. It was heavy and complicated, how did someone think of something like this? The Corporal trailed a finger against the barrel until she reached the end of it. She twisted the pistol in order to gaze down the barrel to see the pellet at the bottom in the sea of gunpowder but she couldn't see anything down there. It was pitch black.

A hand gently moved the pistol away. "You shouldn't look down a barrel of a pistol. Or any firearm for that matter."

Korra looked up to the unfamiliar voice next to her. She hadn't heard Morrisa speak that much before, her voice was raspier than she would of imagined it to be. The Corporal let out a little laugh. "Do you know how to fire one of these?"

Morrisa shook her head. "I'm just as clueless as you are but.. not as stupid."

Korra rose a brow and smiled. "I wasn't going to pull the trigger."

"Your finger was on it."

Korra looked down at the pistol again and yes... indeed, her finger was on the trigger. She quickly moved it away and put the pistol down onto the table. Her blue eyes moved across the barracks. She looked at Mako first, he was busy moving Shizuko's arm back into position everytime she got distracted which was often, then Korra looked to the other side where Kuvira was.

Apparently, Kuvira had some sort of idea how to handle a flintlock and she was using her knowledge to the best of her ability. Yet, Kazan already knew how to handle one by the looks of it. Korra wanted to confront him, ask him exactly where he learned this stuff but then Asami's words echoed through her mind again. You're okay, they're gone. Zaheer is gone.

She had a little chat with Kuvira and Kai a few hours before. Kuvira was quick to comment on how tired Korra looked and Korra quick to change the subject and get right down to the point. The three all agreed that Kazan performed a Red Lotus move but Kuvira and Kai brushed it off, looks like they too believed the Red Lotus was truly defeated. Korra quickly discarded her suspicions with a shake of her head but she knew fully well that her thoughts would be back to drown her later.

A loud bang interupted her train of thought and she quickly looked over to the cause of it. Shizuko managed to hit the target quite well. "That was good, try again." She heard Mako mutter.

"He looks a little serious." Morrisa commented, keeping her volume to the bare minimum.

"Who? Mako?" Korra asked.

"So that's his name."

Korra took a side glance. "Yeah.. he's not normally this serious, I guess he's just trying to make an impression."

Morrisa hummed. "I see." when Korra begun to fiddle with the flintlock again, Morrisa turned herself to face her properly. "So what exactly are we waiting for?"

"As you know, I can't shoot a pistol, so we're waiting for Kuvira or Mako to be free." Korra got up to her feet and beckoned for Morrisa to follow. "Whilst we wait, care for a match?"