4

"My life before you was a mess

Couldn't win one round of this chess"

- tomorrow x together , 0X1=LOVESONG (i know i love you)

yeonjun sat in the empty classroom, head down on top of his arms that were crossed on the table. he arrived before the rest of the students since he didn't want to stay at home. the house reminded him too much of his family, or what it used to be. the pictures on the walls showed his late father, his father that he wished never left them and made his life into a mess.

his mother and her new family left for australia a few days ago, they were still convincing yeonjun to go with them, but yeonjun monotonously stated how he wanted to have his education in south korea.

ever since his father's death, he hasn't shown any emotion other than anger and sadness, either shouting at his mother or crying himself to bed. it worried his mother, since she still cared for him even though she was never home. she tried taking him to his therapist, but all the therapist said was that yeonjun was still grieving over his father's death, which also gave him depression.

he kept trying to show emotions, but it wouldn't work, as if a switch for his emotions turned off in his head, and he couldn't turn it back on. overtime, he stopped shouting and crying, he was just existing like an empty shell of a person. he didn't laugh, cry, get mad, or even exclaim if something hurted, he would just eat in silence, take a shower, go to bed, and repeat the cycle.

his mother was worried for him since she was leaving him alone in south korea, but he reassured her that he would be fine. she was wishing that he would find someone in college that could make him happy since she couldn't stand to see him like this, empty and numb.

as yeonjun stayed in that sleeping position, he heard the lecture room's door open, the sounds of footsteps started echoing in the room, announcing the arrival of a person. he slowly lifted his head to see who entered the room, it was the girl soobin introduced to him. her long brown hair was tied in a messy low ponytail, she was obviously in a rush, her hair was a mess and she was panting as if she ran a marathon before coming in.

"fuck! are you telling me that i'm early to class?" she huffed out, both frustrated and exhausted. "um. yeah, class starts in half an hour." yeonjun said, a blank look stayed on his face.

"damn it! i ran all the way here thinking i overslept." she sighed, slapping her hand to her forehead out of annoyance. she sat down in front of yeonjun, putting her bag on the floor before turning back to face him. yeonjun wasn't paying attention, so when her body suddenly whipped around to his direction, he slightly flinched, not expecting that.

"hi!" she said, her face still having a bit of sweat. "i'm kang nabi, soobin introduced us before." she pointed out, not knowing if yeonjun still remembered her. "yeah, i remember you. i'm choi yeonjun." he said monotonously.

she smiled at him, satisfied with their interaction so far. "so yeonjun," she started off, "what do you major in?" she continued, curious about his major. "uh. i major in nursing." he said, a bit shocked that someone would keep talking to him since he spoke with no enthusiasm and people found him boring.

"that's so cool! i guess we both wanna get into medicine." she grinned at him, "i'm majoring in psychology so i can become a psychiatrist." she told him, proud of her chosen major. he just looked at her with a blank face, not knowing what to say since it's been a long time since someone other than his childhood friends talked to him.

"you don't talk much don't you?" she questioned, "also, why do you always have a straight face? i would've started thinking that you hated me." she joked with him. "it's complicated, and i'm not that comfortable telling someone who i don't know." he bluntly told her. "well, i'm not a stranger since you know my name, but i will not push you to tell me, it's probably a sensitive topic, i'm sorry." she apologized, a bit guilty for asking about a sensitive topic.

"it's alright. a lot of people already asked me about that before, so i'm used to it." he reassured her. "anyways, since we don't know much about each other yet, you wanna hang out at the mall after class?" she asked, wanting to be his friend. "um. you want to hang out with me? aren't i boring?" he questioned. "well, you don't talk much, so i'm guessing that's because we're not close," she guessed, "so if we become close friends, you might start talking more. plus, i like your company, it's calming." she continued, smiling at him.

he just stared at her, his mouth slightly agape, shocked at how she was so persistent into becoming his friend. he was a bit grateful for her since he hasn't had a friend other than his childhood friends, but he was scared that she would also leave him in the end.

"sure." he simply said to her. her smile grew bigger as she heard his answer, "that's great! pass by for me at lunch, we can go to the mall during lunch time." she said, excited for the plans. "also, i'm gonna be in the art room before lunch, so go there to get me." she smiled at him, he just nodded at her, trying to remember what she just told him.

they started talking for a while before the students started coming in, well, more of nabi talking about everything and yeonjun listening to her, maybe saying a few things. they found each other's presence calming, not knowing exactly why since they just met.

and thus, the start of their friendship.