6

“Its freezing Emerson!”
       “It's October, got to love Pennsylvania!” I took off one of  two sweatshirts I was wearing and helped her put it on, she was only wearing a shirt and sweatpants from Octopi. 
       “Thanks.” We were walking a mile long nature trail, watching the leaves fall as we continued down the barely cleared path. 
       “Better than pictures, right?”
       “It smells nice.”
       “That is the smell of the rain from last night on the rotting leaves. An interesting smell to like.”
       “Sorry… Never smelled nature before, at least that i can remember.” 
       “Didn't dad have a little cactus on his desk or something?” She shoved me against a thin trunked tree. “Guess not.”
       “Shut up!” As we walked i noticed her rubbing her back, where her wings were tucked.
       “Whats wrong?”
       “Their getting really hot, i don't know why.”
       “Why don't we start the walk back, we’ll have to turn around anyway, may as well start now.” Then we started walking the other way, I put my hand against her wings, even though the two layers of fabric I could feel her wings heat. Like the hot coals of a fire. 
       “Do you think that i should be worried about my wings? I mean it's not like i could see a doctor.”
       “No i think that your body will figure it out.” I sure hope so otherwise… the only people that can help her is Octopi, and that is not an option. “Probably just the new environment, or something.”
       In the car she had a little bit of trouble against the front seat. She was fidgeting like crazy, putting her back in different positions.
       “We can duct tape some pillows to it, for driving next time.” She started laughing half heartedly.
      “That would be nice, if thats what its come to.” She started rocking her head to the music, obviously enjoying listening to it without scientists marking which songs she enjoyed and didn't enjoy. I only then realized how little she'd heard music, only when they wanted to test her. Even then it was very little recent music, I doubt that she'd ever heard some of the new artists. I turned up the music, smiling at her trying to sing along. She definitely had no clue what they were.