Chapter 3

Laasya POV

     We are late for Lakshmi pooja which is going to take place in the palace temple, I'm worried, because our ma and pitashri (respected father) have to wait for pooja. But it's not my fault Ambika is taking forever to get ready and here I'm waiting for her. " Are you ready? We should live now or we will be late! " I claimed

    " I'm almost done with for few minutes," Ambika said, she has been saying this for like four-time already. After few minutes she finally got ready. We both start to rush in the temple's direction.

    "Jiji please don't tell Ma that it was because of me we got late," Ambika said. I silently node my head.

     As soon as we reached the temple I found pitashri, ma, kakishri (wife of paternal uncle), Kakashri (paternal uncle) & Laksh waiting for us in front of the goddess idol. We both went near them as we reached near them kakishri said " Why are you always late Ambika? Look because of you we all have to wait ."

     "Kakishri it was because of me we both are late, I am sorry," I said not looking into anyone's eyes because I know that they will found out that I'm lying to them as I am a terrible liar.

   Kakishri was going to say something but was cut by pitashri," It's ok Laasya you both are not that late and you should know by now that you are a terrible liar."
Everyone laughed at what pitashri said making me pout.

    After that, with pitashri permission, Panditji (Priest) started doing Lakshmi pooja and then explain the importance of the goddess Lakshmi. After the pooja, there was a Diwali celebration arrange in the grand courtyard of the palace. The celebration was just for the royal family and the family of ministers as there was another celebration on the last day of Diwali for all the citizens of Chandragad.

    We all went to the courtyard where a celebration was held, the ladies were seated on the upper floor so they could have their privacy and still enjoy the celebration, and men were placed on the ground floor with a closer view of the function. Pitashri was sited on his throne chair which was pleased in the middle of the left backdrop and the minister chair where placed on either side of the throne chair. In the middle of the courtyard, there were going to perform local flock dance and flock music like Kalbelia, Terah Taali, Kathputli, and Ghoomar.  Some local Flock musicians were placed in another corner of the courtyard and the whole place was lit up with an oil lamp.

     I was feeling excited as well as nervous as I was going to perform ghoomar for the very first time with other local artists. The celebration started and we all were mesmerizing by the performance. Soon it was time for my performance I take blessing from ma and kakishri and went for the performance. I can't take blessings from pitashri and kakashri as they were not nearby.

     Soon I with other flock artists enter in courtyard my face was covered with the veil as it was highly inappropriate for an unmarried princess to let her face be seen in public we stand in middle and then bend a little with our hand join as in to take permission of performance from the king. Pitashri smile looking at me and allow us to perform.

    Soon the local flock artist started playing songs and I lost myself in it and started dancing. Ghoomar or Ghumar is a traditional folk dance of Rajasthan. It was the Bhil tribe who performed it to worship Goddess Sarasvati which was later embraced by other Rajasthani communities. Ghoomar is a traditional folk dance of Rajasthan. It was the Bhil tribe who performed it to worship Goddess Sarasvati which was later embraced by other Rajasthani communities. The word ghoomar describes the twirling movement of the dancers and is the basis of the word ghoomar. Soon the song ends and we took our permission from pitashri to leave the performing stage. Pitashri smile and let us live the stage and the end of the celebration was announced.

   We all went to our chamber as we all were tired. I was in bed when my maid Champa who is more of a friend to come inside letting me know that pitashri and ma were coming to meet me. As soon as she said it ma and pitashri enter my chamber. Pitashri order " Ekaant (solitude) " everyone including Champa levels my chamber.

   Pitashri comes near me and hugs me," My doll your dance was so mesmerizing, every person who was present in the celebration was lost in your dance it was like we were seeing goddess Saraswati herself dancing in front of us." Said pitashri

   I blush and mumbled a small thankyou. Ma also comes near, " My king I think after seeing your beloved daughter you have forgotten why we come here." Ma teast pitashri.

   "No I have not forgotten, but I think she is still small for it," Pitashri answered.

    "It's time king and even you know that," Ma replies.

    I look at both of them in confusion not knowing what they are talking about " what are you both talking about?" I question them.

    Pitashri huff and said, " Princess I hope you know Ahil Merat."

     "Yes, pitashri I hear from few friends of mine that he is the son of our finance minister," I answered not know why suddenly pitashri is asking me about him.

     Mom smile and said " My doll Ahil is a very gentleman who had just returned from his training and now going to take over his dad position in our council. He is very much smitten by you and have asked  for your hand for marriage."

Aesthetics of Lakshmi pooja and Diwali

Aesthetics of Laasya dance.