Prologue: The Timid Bulbasaur

I guess introductions come first, huh?

I am Y/N L/N, I am 8 years old and about to get my first Pokemon from the lab of Professor Oak himself.

From what I have learned from class, Pokemon and Humans live side by side since the very start, and as a trainer, you should unlock the hidden potential of your Pokemon.

Now, I know, me, a 8 year old knows this stuff, seems unbelievable right? The truth is, I love Pokemon, it's basically my passion at this point of time, I am rather the curious one, as my mother would say it best.

Though I haven't learned much from school aside from that, I only expect to learn more and more about them over time, no need to be impatient, unlike a certain someone that I know of.

But enough about that, I needed to go to the lab, so I got my running shoes and blazed my way there. Professor Oak came to my house the other day and told me I needed to go today, so here I am with my sketchpad in my hands.

...

...

...

It was a hot summer afternoon, so I sweated a lot, but atleast I was there already, as I looked over at the horizon, there was a certain figure I could recognize wherever I went.

"Oh, it's Red." My rival, Blue said with a hint of sarcasm, I hated him to guts, but I guess that's to be expected, we were rivals since we were born, but I guess you could call us close if you think about it.

Red, he was using that nickname, I don't know when it started but, I get called Red a lot in this neighborhood than my actual name, I guess Red sticks more than Y/N, but after all this time, I was used to it.

Must've started from the fact that someone threw a tomato at me, but to be honest, I kinda like the nickname, it's not that bad, I didn't mind since my mom's name is Violet, it made me feel closer to her, as I smiled at the thought, and mom told me to think of the nickname as something positive, like the red flames of a passionate heart.

"Ah, It seems that you are both here!" Oak exclaimed as he opened the door to his lab, as we instinctively entered inside of it, it was filled with scientific stuff I couldn't explain, it was very cool to see though, as my eyes were filled with child-like wonder.

"Red was too slow!" Blue complained as I snapped back to reality, I was already used to this behavior of his, as I simply sighed nonchalantly, it's because of this that we always fight, I think the entire school knows that we are rivals at this point, we even got sent to the Principal at one point, explaining it to my mom was not the highlight of my day.

"If you are so impatient, pick first Blue." Oak said as he revealed three Pokeballs right in front of us, containing the three Kanto starters, I always dreamed of this day, as my smile couldn't be contained.

"Then, I choose this one!" Blue exclaimed as he picked Squirtle, I didn't expect him to actually pick that starter, it was a water type Pokemon if I remembered correctly, a water type is a jack of all trades typing, as I was taught by the school, so I guess it made sense why he picked that, no matter if I had the type advantage, he wouldn't be screwed.

Now it was my turn, as I looked at the two remaining Pokeballs. If this was me from last year, I would've picked Charmander or Squirtle, no questions asked, but now I came to appreciate Bulbasaur, my mom has one and she was plenty strong as I heard from Ivysaur herself , so I guess it runs in the family.

I reached my hands to the Pokeball containing Bulbasaur, as I smiled at the Pokeball I was holding, I cherished my first Pokemon partner that I was currently holding in my hands.