⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ 𝒙𝒙𝒗. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐥𝐚𝐬𝐭 𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐥𝐞

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞
━━ 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒍𝒂𝒔𝒕 𝒂𝒑𝒑𝒍𝒆

Everyone was doing amazing, even despite the last-minute changes in the cast, everyone was shining on that stage. Ashlyn's song brought tears to Juliette's eyes, Seb was crushing it as Sharpay and even Carlos was doing great as Chad, while E.J. substituted Ricky as the male lead.

However, the play's climax came before anyone could even notice, anticipating what all of them feared: the end of this beautiful ride. Breaking Free was about to start and Ricky was nowhere to be seen, so Juliette went out looking for him. This time, it did not take her that long to spot the curly hair of the boy she so so much liked but, when she did find him, he was not alone.

Gina was by his side, both entering the gym ready to attend the final performance of the musical. Juliette stopped on her tracks, doubting for a second whether to approach them or not. Convincing herself that it was not the best thing to do, she turned around on her heels and directed herself to the wings so he could watch the performance alongside the rest of the cast and crew.

This was supposed to be Ricky's big moment. But instead, everything was falling apart: Nini could not concentrate on what she was doing and E.J. went totally out of script, leaving the girl alone on stage and without a clue as to what to do. She took a look at Juliette, who nodded at her and signalled to Ricky with her head, and then started walking towards the boy as she sang.

"I'm really not at my best right now," he whispered, trying to get Nini to stop insisting.

"Just look at me, Ricky, only at me," Nini encouraged him and started to sing again. Taking Ricky's hand, they both walked to the stage and gave the best performance East High had ever seen. They were not Troy and Gabriella, they were Ricky and Nini doing what they did best. They did not take the eyes off of the other for the whole song and they completely nailed it, making everyone cheer loudly when the song ended.

"Oh my God guys, you did amazing," Juliette congratulated them as soon as they got out of stage, putting her arm before them, "I literally have chills."

Nini hugged the girl with a big smile on her face and, after winking, she left her alone with Ricky. As disappointed as the girl was with him, she could not help it but praise him for what he had just done. It had been an outstanding performance and she could not be happier and prouder. Who would've thought that Ricky skater-boy Bowen could do that?

"You were outstanding out there, Ricky, really. Now go get changed, it's time for the curtain call."

"Yeah, Carlos talked to me about that. He wants you to dance."

"Carlos wants what now?" she asked incredulously, "absolutely no. I'm not dancing again."

"Oh yes you are," Carlos handed her a red costume and dragged her to the backstage so she could get changed, "you know the dance."

She was literally pushed into the stage, making all her friends in the audience cheer. They knew about this. They had seen her make this dance countless times before. She concentrated on the steps she knew so well and did not take off the smile of her face during the whole song. She had done that exact dance a thousand times alone in her room and now, the HSM obsession was finally paying off.

One by one, all the actors came out for their bows and, after the big final dance, Ricky and Nini took Juliette to the front while E.J. and Gina took Miss Jenn and Carlos, making them bow as well. That play was as much their achievement as everyone else's, they had been crucial from the first to the last day and they couldn't have pulled it off without them.