32|| As if nothing happened

ALYSON: how is it going?

I bit my thumb, watching the text get sent my heart picked up when he got online and started typing back.

CONNOR: good

ALYSON: Take care

CONNOR: u2

I rolled my eyes. As if it was all the same. I was currently in the front row of the bleachers, watching the famous match between Clayton High and Richmore, and he was going back to those activities of his. For how he avoided talking about it, I believed tonight Connor was going to the fights, not the wager-swaps, and that left a bitter feeling twitching my stomach.

To be honest. I wasn't that sure about neither of our plans tonight. His for obvious reasons and mine because, in all honesty, I'd never been one to come to the varsity games. Luckily, Lydia was by my side. Since she knew Brett asked me to come, she offered to come together and I couldn't be more glad. Macy was away for a family event until tomorrow and Norah had plans with her friends from their last school. So, me? I wasn't someone with many backup friends and I dreaded the idea of coming on my own. But here was Lydia, not only kind and beautiful, but also my guardian angel.

I could see why she was so liked, her charisma was overwhelming. Like Hunter. Like Brett. Guess that kinda was the thing about popular kids, the had this... halo.

Even as she screamed her lungs out when Clayton almost scored again. "Damn! That was close." she cheered with the rest of the bleachers as I slid my phone back into my pocket, clapping too, as the players resumed their positions and the ball was back into movement.

It  was so loud in here, and considering we were in the front row, it felt as if the noise surrounded us and drown my thoughts. Clayton was fine, they were at its top, but Richmore was also playing it hard and the players were already sweaty and frustrated as both teams were yet to score.

Brett was easy to spot, both from her funny hair color and for the five printed on his game kit. The same five that was printed in the sleeves of the jacket he'd given me and asked for me to wear. I was still unsure about this. The huge cloth was comfortable and cute, warm against the night breeze of mid April,  but at the same time... it didn't feel that right that I was wearing it. The white and blue colors of the varsity team were too light, and it was lacking some scent of smoke and citric.

My heart squeezed. Brett is just a friend, even if I'm... whatever I am with Connor, there no damage if I put his jacket, right? It's not that big of a deal and he asked. Connor didn't look thrilled by the idea, but he gave me that usual shrug and acted like it couldn't bother him less. As if he didn't know that by now I could read through him, but what was I supposed to do? It was just a jacket. And Brett asked.