21|| Great timing

I pursed my lips as I unlocked my phone and saw again no new texts from certain auburn guy. A part of me had successfully relaxed now that I was certain that Connor didn't hate me for the consequences of my problems and I'd thanked him properly, but I couldn't say the same for the other one affected by the recent events.

With Brett, being the one not suspended and... well, being him; I would have thought it was just a matter of time once I stepped out the nursery 'till I met with him, but no. I hadn't seen him at all in the halls, even considering I was looking for him. How come he was all over the place when I avoided him, but mysteriously disappeared when I was indeed seeking for him? The irony.

Nor did he get my calls or I even spot him from afar. Nada. A big fat zero. Where the hell was he?

For at least the tenth time today I called him as soon dropping my roller shoes on the back of Granny's car, but -surprise! - he didn't take it. I was beginning to get suspicious. Over the last couple months I'd grown accustomed to his continuous bickering, always around, always with some smart thing to say... The tightening in my chest intensified as the answering machine started talking from the other end of the line.

What's wrong with him? Is he mad now or something? And what's going on with me? I'd been praying for him to leave me alone, but now it was me who was stressing over not knowing what's going on with him.

I shook my head, not having time for this, and called him a couple more times, but still the same luck. The lace around my lungs clenched each time the call would meet a dead end.

What? Maybe he was indeed mad at me. Maybe it did get him in trouble with the coach after all.

"I'm driving." Connor's voice behind me stole my heartbeat for a second and I spun to see him picking the board expressionless, as if he didn't just ask for such a baffling request.

"Oh?" The sun was almost setting over the ruins of the old church and I'd thought we were heading each to their home already. Apparently we were not. "Where?" his gaze remained unbothered, not even answering. Why am I even surprised anymore? "I thought you were done."

"Here."

"Here? You're done here?" I translated and he perked one brow as I grew both frustrated and curious. "And what do you want to do now?"

He mentioned my gaze, almost amused, yet his facial muscles didn't move an inch and I felt my heart picking up. It was getting late, usually when the sky was this red already was when I took the hint it was time to head home. Also, there were still homework for me to do. Yet, here was Connor Mendley, the closest person I know, wanting to go somewhere. Was I really going to let this chance go?

He seemed to read it right away and held out his flat palm, already knowing he got me. Biting my lip, I willed my fingers to unwrap from around their keys and let them gently on his hand. Well, here goes nothing.