Chapter 29

HUGO

"I just watched her left, bro."

Xavier just looked at me with his usual serious expression. He was listening to me ever since I came and I don't know if I should be glad or not. I went to him because I want someone who can help me clear my head and the first thing I thought of is my bestfriend turned brother-in-law.

"She was hurt as much as you do." He said before he poured my glass which I emptied quickly.

"Mali ba na hindi ko sya sinundan? I know that she was badly hurt and she needs me but I can't seem to process everything." Bahagyang iritado kong sabi.

"I will ask Trace to help me kill that shithead." Nangigigil kong dagdag bago pabagsak na binaba ang baso sa lamesa.

I tried to breathe properly but I can't. My heart is pounding hard due to my anger.

Surprise is not even the right term to describe what I felt when that asshole told me what they did to Sierra. And at that moment, I just want to take his life, to make him suffer in hell. Then I saw Sierra, scared and crying. I knew instantly that she is hurting badly, that she's hurting more than me.

I never imagined that is how that son of a bitch broke her. Just by merely thinking of it depresses me, what more in Sierra's part? But here I am, drinking my ass off instead of being by her side just like I promised.

"Regarding your question, it depends on the reason as to why you didn't follow her." Seryosong sabi ni Xavier kaya mabilis na kumunot ang noo ko.

"No!" I exclaimed as I leaned on the table but he just remained calmly looking at me. "If you're thinking that I was disgusted to what I discovered, no. That was not the reason why I didn't follow her. I was just..." I trailed off as my mind started to get blank.

"It's not easy to accept, Hugo. Lalo na, she is your first love." Pagpapa-tuloy nya kaya napa-titig ako sa kanya.

"I love her, Xavier. And her past won't stop me from loving her." Mahina kong sagot kaya tumango naman sya.

"Am I a coward for going here instead to her?" Dagdag ko pa pero nagkibit-balikat lang sya.

I sighed before standing. I patted his shoulder before I ran out of their house. I was stupid for not following her!

Ayokong masaktan pa lalo si Sierra dahil sa akin. Ngayon nya ako mas kailangan kaya hindi ako dapat nagpapadala sa nalaman ko. Wala  naman sa akin iyon dahil mas importante sa akin ang ngayon, ang kasalukuyan. I am not a saint to judge her and I even had my own encounters that I am not proud of so I won't let her past get in our way.

Biglang tumunog ang cellphone ko sa kalagitnaan ng pagmamaneho ko. Kahit hindi rehistrado ang number ay mabilis ko itong sinagot dala ng samu't saring ideyang naglalaro sa isipan ko.

"Hello?" Kinakabahan kong sabi.

Walang masamang nangyari kay Sierra, Hugo. Paulit-ulit kong sabi sa sarili.

"Hugo? Nakuha ko ang number mo kay Liana." Na-bosesan ko ang lalaki kaya naka-hinga ako nang maluwag.

"Bakit ka napa-tawag, Stephen?"

"Anong ginawa mo kay Ate?" Seryoso ngunit nag-babanta nyang tanong kaya bumangon ang kaba sa sistema ko.

"Nandyan si Sierra?" Gulat kong tanong bago mabilis na lumiko para pumunta sa bahay nila.

"Sagutin mo ang tanong ko, Hugo."

"Papunta na ako d'yan. 'Wag nyo syang paalisin, please."

"She's locked in her room and she won't even come o--- shit! Mama! Si Ate, baka maglasla---"