Chapter 12

Layla walked anxiously around the supermarket, wondering where in the world she could find cookies. She couldn't remember the last time she had been to a shopping centre. She presumed she had been to the shopping centre with her mother back when she was a baby, but she had no recollection of that time. She didn't really have any recollection of her mother at all or the time she spent with her. 

She could only remember snippets of feeling happy and sad. She was sure she had a good time with her mum. As for her father? She had no idea who he could have been. He had never been apart of her life, and she guessed he was dead considering she was in foster care. The only thing she new was from her file. Her mother died when she was 4 and a half. She spent a couple months in an orphanage before being picked by the Stone family. No one ever mentioned her father or any other relatives. 

Moving back towards her class party, she found a large amount of cookies in the bakery section. She wanted to make the cookies from scratch, but she knew that her foster parents would find out and punish her for making food for herself. Even though they weren't specifically for her. So instead she decided she would just buy the cookies pre made. 

Layla walked around the table, looking over the delicious goods, her mouth watering at the food. At the exact same time her stomach growled, but she ignored it. She would be able to feed her stomach tomorrow at the party.

She remembered Nikola mentioning that cookies were her favourite type of desert but as Layla looked at the cookies, there were many many flavours that caused Layla to grumble. Who makes so many flavours? why do you need so many flavours? Which flavour was Nicola's favourite? 

"Layla?"

Layla whirled around at the familiar women's voice, realising with little horror that Mrs Williams was standing next to her, a trolley half full of so much food that Layla's eyes went wide. She had never even tried three quarters of the food in the trolley before. 

"Oh, hey Layla, it's nice to see you" Mrs William smiled at Layla before looking around the bakery section of the supermarket.

"Oh, h-hey Mrs Williams" Layla waved at Mrs Williams.

"What you doing here by yourself? Are your parents around?" Mrs Williams seemed a little confused by the child in front of her being alone. 

"M-my parents ...are waiting j-just outside of the s-store" the lie slipped out roughly against Layla's lips.

"Oh, maybe you could introduce them to me? I know it's Thursday evening but they didn't end up being able to make the parent-teacher interviews last month and wanted to have a chat about your progress. Only if they have time though" Mrs William's smiled at her. 

"Um, th-they might b-be in a rush" Layla ducked her head, and picked up the closest cookie packet which was a 24 mixed pack. Which should be able to satisfy a couple of her classmates.

Mrs Williams smiled warmly at Layla's choice,
"Are they for the Christmas party tomorrow?"

Layla brought them closer to her and nodded her head.

"They look delicious, I can't wait to try one at the party" Layla's cheeks reddened at Mrs Williams's words. "Is that all you are getting from the supermarket?"

Layla nodded her head, suddenly really shy. 

"That's excellent, I've actually just finished my grocery shopping for the week too! Do you want to come to the counter with me?"

Layla nodded her head again. Atleast she was with someone she knew. 

As they began walking toward the cashiers Mrs Williams continued to speak to Layla, 
"So are you excited for the Christmas break"

Layla hesitantly nodded her head at the question. While she would be home for two weeks, it would be like the previous holidays, filled with unrelenting fists, and never-ending bruises across her body. 

"What about Santa then?" Mrs Williams noticed how Layla didn't seem too excited about the summer break. 

Layla nodded her head a little more eagerly this time. Every year Layla was excited for Santa to come. She tried her best to be as good as possible, to stay on his good list, to be the most well-behaved person ever. She even tried putting a glass of milk out once for Santa. Her foster father ended up throwing the glass at her for spoiling his milk. 

But every year it seemed as though she wasn't good enough, but it didn't matter, she would try again this year. She thought she had been better well behaved, so she was hoping that he would visit her this year. Even if it was just one gift. Was it selfish of her to ask for a gift?

She highly hoped not, she just wanted to have a gift, to unwrap it from the too-perfect paper. But, maybe she was asking for too much.

"That's good. I'm sure you are at the top of Santa's good list, hey?" Mrs Williams's smile broadened.

Layla shrugged her shoulders, a small smile resting on her face. Maybe she had been good, maybe she could be on top of santa's good list. 

"You go first honey"

Layla nodded her head and walked in front of her teacher. She placed the cookies on the conveyer belt and walked over to the cashier, who scanned her cookies. 

"Good afternoon, how's your day been? " The brown-haired lady behind the counter spoke.

"G-good thanks" Layla mumbled out.

"That will be four dollars and twenty cents"

Layla shoved her hand into her pocket grabbing the coins she had collected over the school year and placed them into the lady's hand. Layla watched anxiously as the lady behind the counter, counted her coins. 

"I'm sorry but you're a dollar short" the lady frowned.

"oh" Layla's heart raced. "um, don't worry-"

Layla was cut off by a hand on her shoulder, causing her to flinch at the touch. Layla looked to the hand and who it belonged to, noticing it was Mrs Williams. 

"Here", Mrs Williams gave the cashier five-dollar note. "Keep the change"

"T-thank you Mrs Williams" Layla's voice trembled.

"All good sweetheart. it was just a dollar. Why don't you wait here and I can pay for my things before we go see your parents yeah?" 

Layla's heart rate spiked immensely from Mrs Williams words. Layla stuttered out, "they are actually calling my name, i have to go. Thank you for this, I'll see you tomorrow Mrs Williams!" She stumbled the words out before bolting. Mrs Williams couldn't even call out to wait before the brown haired girl was gone. 

Layla ran as quickly as she could out of the shopping centre and down the street. Turning her head often to make sure Mrs Williams wasn't following her. Layla made sure the cookies stayed safe in her arms as she slowed down to a walk. 

As soon as Layla got home, she made sure her foster parents were still out at the bar before making her way inside and placing the cookies in her bag ready for tomorrows party. 

Once she had organised tomorrows clothes, Layla laid down on her mattress hugging her little blanket around her body, as the the temperature continued to decline the further they got into winter. Though even the coldness couldn't stop her heart buzzing as she excitedly drifted off to sleep. 

.....................................................................

Thank you so much for reading! i very much appreciate it! you guys give me the motivation to continue!

Sorry about any inaccuracy, as said before I am Australian :)

Published: 18th May 2022

Words: 1283