Chapter 27

Layla stood nervously behind Mrs Williams. They were currently standing outside of the children's court, and it absolutely terrified her. She hadn't seen her foster parents since the cops came two weeks ago.

She nervously threaded her hand into Mrs Wlliams's warm one, trying to focus on her breathing. Physical affection was something that she had never really had, but it was something that she had come to feel and come to love the more she spent with Mrs Williams. 

Mrs Williams looked down upon her with a small reassuring smile before her other hand came and encased her into a hug. 

"It's going to be alright, Layla; I'm going to be with you the entire time," Mrs Williams squeezed her gently. 

"W-what if they find them non-guilty? Would I go back into their care? I-I don't wanna go-go back. I wa-wanna stay with you" Layla voiced her fears. 

"No, Layla, I promise you that what we are going to do today in that courtroom will make sure you are staying with Mrs Williams permanently." The blonde-haired attorney smiled down at the frightful child. Anger was hidden deep in her heart. Anger at the people responsible for hurting her. She couldn't wait to give them absolute hell inside that court. 

She would show no mercy. 

Mrs Williams reassured Layla as well, "No matter what happens inside, you are staying with me." 

Layla looked up at Mrs Williams, fear shining through her eyes, "do you promise?" 

"I promise, Layla. I would never willingly let you go back to them." 

Layla instantly engulfed Mrs Williams into a tight hug, to which Mrs Williams placed her arms around Layla, hugging her back. 

Though the moment ended too soon, as their Lawyer, Ms Anderson, broke their moment by informing them that it was time. 

..........................................

Seated within the courtroom, Layla's hand didn't leave Mrs Williams's one for even a second. Her shaking, scared figure could sense Jackson's and Daniella's presence on the other side of the room. 

The judge was already seated on the stand, the jury all chosen and picked on the side of the room, staring down at her like she was an exhibit. 

"Daniella Stone, please rise." after a moment and some scraping, the judge continued, "you are being charged with child abuse, child neglect, child endangerment, domestic abuse, and physical assault on a police officer; how do you plead?" 

"non-guilty on all chargers, your honor," the female voice caused Layla to flinch and hide next to Mrs Williams. 

"you may sit Mrs Stone. Mr Jackson Stone, please stand" another pause, "You are being charged with child abuse, child neglect, child endangerment, domestic abuse, and resisting arrest; how do you plead?" 

"Non-guilty on all chargers, your honor." his dark voice caused shivers down Layla's spine. 

"you may sit. Ms Anderson, I believe you are here to prove that Jackson and Daniella Stone are, in fact, guilty of these charges. As you are pressing charges, you will need to supply evidence as to why these two are guilty. Am I clear" 

"Yes, your honor" 

"You may begin." The judge said. 

"Your honor, I would like to call Layla Atwell to the stand." 

Layla nodded her head at Ms Anderson's nod and slowly and shakingly went over to the stand, and sat on the chair provided. 

The judge looked at her and gave her the bible to which Layla ... "I Layla Atwell will speak of nothing but the truth. The whole truth and nothing but the truth. "