Chapter 21

4 years ago: 

"Hello?" a male's hoarse voice spoke through the phone.

"Good evening, is this by any chance Mr Zane Atwell?", a lady's voice spoke through the phone. 

"Uh, yeah I'm Zane, who's this?" he asked confusingly. 

"Wonderful. My names Rachel Atticus, I'm your daughter, Layla's social worker. I'm contacting you, regarding guardianship of Miss Layla"

"Where's Annalise?" Zane replied back. 

"Annalise-" Zane bristled at the woman who had destroyed so much more than his reputation, "- has unfortunately passed in a car accident early this morning. As Annalise was the sole caretaker of Layla, she now needs to be rehomed. Since you are her rightful father, you are next of kin, so would you like to take guardianship of your daughter?"

Zane stood in the kitchen of his friend's house. The thought actually caused him to shut down momentarily. He ran his hand through his unwashed hair as he took around his surroundings. The slight smell of marijuana was intoxicating, along with the empty bottles of beer that decorated every inch of this place.

Annalise had come storming into his life, had absolutely destroyed him. She was a conniving little snake.

Used him like he was a goddamn closet.

But despite his past relationship with that bitch, it was his daughter they were talking about. He hadn't met her, hadn't wanted anything to do with Annalise. But now this kid, this kid who held half of his DNA was alone. Probably alone and frightened. 

Yet as he looked around at the rundown apartment, at his dirty and unwashed self, he realised he couldn't look after a kid in this environment. He wouldn't let his kid live in this environment. It was most definitely not suitable for a kid to live and grow in this. 

"Uh" he replied trying to say the right words, "I am unable to look after Layla at this time."

"So you're okay with your daughter going into foster care?"

"uh, yeah if that's where she needs to go. As long as it's safe for her."

"No worries Mr Atwell, all homes we put the kiddie winks into have had a background check, have a working with children's card, and make it their mission to help the children strive for greatness."

"That's a relief, thanks, Rachel."

"Good bye Zane."

.................................................

Present day: 

As Anita walked through the door, her heart skipped a beat. Even though she had already seen Layla, the image of Layla laying on the hospital bed, wires running through her body, would be something she'd see till the day she died.

Realising she was standing in the doorway, Anita shut the door behind her. She was so happy to be told by a nurse that Layla was allowed to have one visitor to stay overnights with her. This allowed Anita to grab a chair and move it toward Layla's bed. Taking in the hand that didn't have a cast on it, Anita started rubbing, being careful of the IV.

Anita made sure Layla's hair was out of her face, and her glasses were sitting on the table beside the bed. Allowing her to just stare mindlessly at Layla's sleeping form. She was yet to wake up since the ordeal in the Stone's house. 

How had she not been able to pick up such abuse? How could she have been so naive to think that every parent was good to their kids? And when she entertained the fantasy that she could possibly give her a warm, lovely home, Layla's father was now wanting to take her in. Where was he when Layla's mother died? How come he didn't take her in then?