Chapter 15

Walking into the classroom on the first day back of school seemed to dampen Layla's excited mood. She was finally able to get out of her house after spending two weeks cooped up without leaving. But as she entered her classroom she could see all of her classmates showing each other the Christmas presents they had received from Santa. Layla tried not o let her affect her as she started making her way to her seat. 

Suddenly, one of her classmates, Rose was it? rolled past her on her skateboard, her friends ooing and wowing her new board.

Then Timmothy, she was able to recall his name, was going around the classroom flaunting his new shoes that lit up as he stepped. He picked up his pace, leaned back onto his heels, and floated. How was that possible? Layla then realised that there were wheels on the bottom of the shoes. And instantly she wanted them. She could see herself wheeling around everywhere. Subconsciously she looked down. at her shoes, her vision of wheeling everywhere popping. Instead of the wheelie shoes, she was instead looking at dusty, now faded black shoes which had a hole poking out of her right shoe.

Maybe one day she could get them. Yeah. When she was older and she could get money, she would buy them. She would buy anything she wanted. 

Making her way through the rows of desks she could hear everyone's conversations. 

"I got a new barbie"

"I got the biggest LEGO set"

"I got a new bike"

"I got a painting set"

I got
I got
I got

Tears built up in Layla's eyes. Again, she wasn't good enough for Santa to drop by. She wasn't surprised, she did keep disobeying her parents. She did keep screwing everything up.

Sitting down in her seat her friend immediately jumped into hers, as if she was waiting for Layla to show up.

"Heya! I haven't seen you in ages! How was your break? Oh, what did you get for Christmas? I got these new sandals-," she lifted her leg to show Layla. " - I got some new clothes, a bike, ooh I also got a book, and a DVD collection of my favourite series and we also got a puppy and all the things to take care of a puppy!!!!" She was squealing at the end.

Layla nodded, smiling at Nikola's enthusiasm. At least Nikola was good enough for presents. She deserved the world. 

"I had a good time with my p-parents, we had a...family dinner" Layla forced a small smile on her face, as her hand ran up her arm softly, covering the already disappearing belt marks. 

"That's cool! We do the exact same thing, although it's not the same since daddy went to heaven." She leaned back in her seat. Suddenly her frown turned into a full-blown smile "So did you ask your parents if you can come over?"

Layla froze. She was smart enough not to ask her foster parents. She would end up being punished for even thinking she could do something fun. But she couldn't say no to Nikola. The pure happiness and hope in her eyes made Layla's mind up, it didn't matter the consequences.

"Yeah, they said it was f-fine"

" yes!!!! We can have so much fun! We cou-," she was interrupted by Mrs Williams as she quieter down the class.

"Good morning everyone! I hope you had a good Christmas break. I hope you all got the presents you wanted from Santa, but more importantly, I hope you all spent it with your families." A bunch of cheers rang out across the room.

"Today we will be easing back into the new school term with some painting. So if you'd like to get your drawing books out, you'll see that there is some paint on each of your tables. You will have to partner up with the person sitting next to you." She smiled across the room as the students opened their drawers. Instantly there were gasps, then some of the kids were yelling.