Chapter Twelve

I tapped my foot rhythmically as I stood against the wall, waiting for a certain someone to show up.

After some thinking, I decided tutoring Joseph over my place would be the best option since it was convenient for me. I asked ummi if she'd be home over the weekend, in hopes of having a valid excuse if her answer was no, but fortunately for Joseph, she said otherwise.

A lot needed to be done this weekend as I already took a day off and now I had two days worth of homework plus additional weekend homework and impending stress. But I had to say; a day off gave me enough time to get over my not-so-glorious gym incident. Hopefully, nobody remembered it anymore.

"Hi there, klutz."

Never mind. I spoke too soon.

I glanced to the side in slight annoyance and confusion filled my mind when Camilla stopped in front of me with two of her friends, a satirical smile fixed on her tinted lips.

"Or would you prefer to be called nosebleed?" she batted her eyelashes, earning girly snickers from her friends. "You know, this week's P.E has been one of the most entertaining periods for a lot of us and it's all thanks to you. You put up quite a memorable show back there."

I arched my eyebrows. She was here to make fun of me? I've had my fair share of dealings with her kind and the last thing I wanted was to feed her ego by going all tongue-tied. It was a good thing I'd gotten past my middle school phase where I'd bow my head and quietly listen to everything being said to me.

I squared my shoulders and curved my lips sarcastically. "Really? But you were the highlight of my show, you deserve some credit too. Besides, I'd rather entertain others than make them feel like throwing up after drowning myself in a cloying perfume."

Her eyes flared in rage and the pure offense across her features was unavoidable. I mean, I'd be offended too if someone called my expensive-smelling perfume cloying.

But instead of losing her cool, she glanced over her friends and laughed lightly. "She's a funny one. And feisty. But it's good. I'm glad to see a girl like you speaking her mind so freely. Looks like staying in a liberated country is paying off."

There it was. The infamous belief that if a girl covers her head and body, she covers her brain and freedom. I mean, give me a break. That's an argument I'd rather not get into.

"Ah, speaking of girls supporting girls, here's an advice from me to you," Camilla exclaimed suddenly, flicking her straight hair over her shoulder. "I know your faith limits interaction between girls and guys but I don't want you to get the wrong idea of Joseph helping you the other day. He's really nice to everyone, I wouldn't be surprised if he even does charity work." She eyed me up when she said that, smirking. "I don't want you to misunderstand him or his actions. It'd be sad to have your heart broken in such a pitiful way."

Did she think I was after him? Or that I was deprived because I chose to limit my interaction with guys who'd only be a waste of my time? I couldn't care less.

I was about to roll my eyes when she leaned forward and whispered, "because if he ever wants a girlfriend, I'd be his first choice."

She stepped back once again and smiled contemptuously with mock swirling in her light eyes. Even so, standing beside her - in that fleeting moment - I couldn't help but feel extremely self-conscious. She was so beautiful, Ma Sha Allah.

I felt a pang in the pit of my stomach and quickly threw her a tight-lipped smile. "Good for you. I'm not interested."

With that, I whirled around to leave and nearly ran into someone who popped out of nowhere, blocking my way. A familiar perfume wafted around and I looked up to see Joseph with a raised eyebrow.